Email deleted from server not deleting from Samsung 6 after Marshmallow update today
BadGrandpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Email deleted from server not deleting from Samsung 6 after Marshmallow update today.

Have tried clearing cache, deleting email accounts and then adding again.

Noticed that can't select none for security for smtp settings for GoDaddy hosted accounts.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Email deleted from server not deleting from Samsung 6 after Marshmallow update today
BadGrandpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Venessa, et al.,

Wiping the cache partition did not work.

Tested by sending three emails (2 to different GoDaddy accounts and 1 to a RoadRunner account), hitting their servers to get them all three of them on my phone, then logging into the servers and deleting the test emails.

Having no problems sending emails so smtp settings logically not the issue…I think.

When I tried the suggested wiping cache partition routine yesterday, I even went to the trouble of clearing data and cache using application manager, then deleting the accounts and, after wiping the partition cache and rebooting, freshly installing the accounts.

Can’t blame this on ISPs because using multiple ISPs.

Hope y’all can figure this out…from what I have seen on boards, I am not the only one having this problem immediately after installing Android 6.0.1 with the April 2, 2016 security patch

Eric

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Email deleted from server not deleting from Samsung 6 after Marshmallow update today
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We expect your phone to work flawlessly after the update, BadGrandpa! Let's get your e-mail working. I do appreciate all the details you've already provided. I'd like to take a step back and try wiping Cache Partition. To do so, please follow the steps below:

1. Turn phone off completely.
2. To start the phone, press the following keys simultaneously: Power Button, Home Button, Volume +
3. When the first logo can be seen on the screen, release the power button, but hold the Home button and the Volume + button pressed
4. It now appears on the screen of your phone, a small menu. Navigate with the Volume + and Volume - keys. An entry is selected by the Power Button
5. Select in this menu now "Wipe Cache Partition".
6. After you have selected the entry the Wipe cache is flushed. This takes a few seconds. Then it automatically returns to the small menu.
7. Now select the top entry with "Reboot Now"

Please keep us posted.

VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

BadGrandpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Vanessa...actually tried that yesterday but still having problem...will try again and report back soon

0 Likes
BadGrandpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Venessa, et al.,

Wiping the cache partition did not work.

Tested by sending three emails (2 to different GoDaddy accounts and 1 to a RoadRunner account), hitting their servers to get them all three of them on my phone, then logging into the servers and deleting the test emails.

Having no problems sending emails so smtp settings logically not the issue…I think.

When I tried the suggested wiping cache partition routine yesterday, I even went to the trouble of clearing data and cache using application manager, then deleting the accounts and, after wiping the partition cache and rebooting, freshly installing the accounts.

Can’t blame this on ISPs because using multiple ISPs.

Hope y’all can figure this out…from what I have seen on boards, I am not the only one having this problem immediately after installing Android 6.0.1 with the April 2, 2016 security patch

Eric

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BadGrandpa,

Your phone has awesome features and getting them to work as they should is crucial.  Besides, the software update have there been any other recent changes to your phone?

EmmaM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BadGrandpa We appreciate your efforts. Let’s continue to work together to get this resolved. I know first hand that it’s annoying when the emails won’t delete from the phone. The next step is to delete the email accounts, and power cycle the phone. Once it is back on go ahead and install the email accounts again. Please keep us posted.
DeloresK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BadGrandpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Made no changes...other than installing Marshmallows update and April 2 security stuff...all of which was just what Verizon pushed out...

Did notice that even though selected manual server setup option, pop3 and smtp fields were populated automatically...tried every conceivable permutation of using what was auto populated, changing the settings manually to what I had previously, and combinations thereof...guessing the new software isn't properly writing to the server field file...often would not update...and yes, I usually deleted email accounts each time

0 Likes
BadGrandpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is what I just did…again…probably the third time I tried this:

Settings>Applications>Application Manager>Email>Storage>Clear Cache, Clear Data

Settings>Accounts>Email>Removed Accounts (confirmed accounts deleted and email not a running application)

NOTE: Also removed Verizon Cloud Account…only new thing installed during update…was mostly forced to when ran Verizon Software Assistant

Powered Off

1. Turn phone off completely.

2. To start the phone, press the following keys simultaneously: Power Button, Home Button, Volume +

3. When the first logo can be seen on the screen, release the power button, but hold the Home button and the Volume + button pressed

4. It now appears on the screen of your phone, a small menu. Navigate with the Volume + and Volume - keys. An entry is selected by the Power Button

5. Select in this menu now "Wipe Cache Partition".

6. After you have selected the entry the Wipe cache is flushed. This takes a few seconds. Then it automatically returns to the small menu.

7. Now select the top entry with "Reboot Now"

Proceeded to attempt to setup Email Accounts Manually

Every freaking time I have done this since installing the update, even though I select “Manual Setup”, “POP3 Account”, it auto populates the incoming and outgoing fields with data that is inconsistent with the server settings I use with my provider

For GoDaddy, it uses:

POPS server: pop.secureserver.net (which is ok)

Security type: SSL (I use None)

Port: 995 (I use 110)

SMTP server: smtpout.secureserver.net (which is ok)

Security type: SSL (I use None)

Port: 465 (I use 3535)

Delete email from server: When deleted from Inbox (have left this as auto populated)

Authentication Required before sending emails”: checked (have left as auto populated with user name and password because consistent with settings I use)

Many times I have tried using these auto setup setting and can send email but emails deleted on server not deleted from phone

Now I change the undesired auto populated…even though I selected manual setup…settings:

When change POP3 security type to None, it auto populates Port as 110…which is ok

When I change the SMTP security setting to None, it auto populates Port as 587…this is NOT consistent with GoDaddy email

Change Port to 3535

Get screen with sync schedule which I leave “Every 15 minutes, notify me when email arrives checked

Click Sign In

Change my name for the outgoing server to [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

Click DONE

STILL DOESN’T FREAKING DELETE EMAILS ON PHONE THAT ARE DELETED FROM SERVER (AND I AM LOGGING INTO THE SERVER TO MAKE SURE)

Seems to me that the fact that there is auto populating when selecting manual setup would be a good place to start looking for a solution

Thanks for any help you or your associates can provide.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional information BadGrandpa. We want to take all the necessary steps to get this resolved for you. Your business is appreciated and the steps you have taken thus far. How do you check your email accounts on your computer? Is it through the website or through outlook?

TionnaB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BadGrandpa
Enthusiast - Level 3

The simple answer is both…the more complete answer is I usually check email on computer when in office, use phone when out and about, and a few times a week, check email on GoDaddy and Time Warner servers to make sure nothing mistakenly caught in spam filter.

Just to be clear, no issues whatsoever sending or receiving emails…just synching the deletions

Worked perfectly fine until installing updates pushed out by Verizon…and not complaining about Verizon updates…these things do happen.

0 Likes