Encrypted SD card on GalaxyS8 won't decrypt now and says it was encrypted on a different phone
bunniej
Enthusiast - Level 2

After one of the software updates, my phone now says it cannot decrypt my micro SD card.  I don't have any other phone and it wasn't encrypted by another phone.  Now it says it was encrypted by a different phone and I can't access any of the files.  I tried shutting down and taking out the SD card and putting it back in and restarting, also tried rebooting several times, no luck.  Any suggestions??

0 Likes
Re: Encrypted SD card on GalaxyS8 won't decrypt now and says it was encrypted on a different phone
bearone21
Legend

did you use the card on another phone before the s8??

Re: Encrypted SD card on GalaxyS8 won't decrypt now and says it was encrypted on a different phone
bunniej
Enthusiast - Level 2

A year ago I upgraded, but I decrypted the SD card, moved it to the new current phone, and then encrypted again.  It worked for a year with no issues and now it suddenly says it cannot decrypt it.

bearone21
Legend

sd cards fail & are cheap to replace!!

bunniej
Enthusiast - Level 2

the files are not replaceable.  and the fact that it coincided with a system update might indicate that it's not an sd card failure, but a system or software failure.  you're not helpful at all.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bunniej, Software updates should improve your experience, not make it worse. I'm sorry that you're having problems with your SD card. How did you encrypt it on your Galaxy S8? I know you said that you don't have another phone, but are you able to plug your phone or card into a computer to try to access your content? If so, what happens when you try?

JoelR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bunniej
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went through the settings (cogwheel) > Lock screen and security > Encrypt SD card.  When I plug it into my computer, you can see the files, but it says, "We can't open this file" when you try to open any of the items on the SD card.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bunniej,

I appreciate the details. Let's dig deeper into this. Have you tried to place the SD card in another phone and verify if you receive the same error message? Can you transfer the files to your computer and erase the SD card?

JuanD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bunniej
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried doing this on a friend's phone and got the same error.  When I transfer the files to the computer, they still give the error of "We can't open this file."  I don't want to erase and start over as now I cannot trust that another software update won't just do the same thing in the future.  And there have been numerous updates in the meantime.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bunniej-

I'm sorry to learn that you're still experiencing the same error with your SD card. Do you have those files saved on your phone or backed up to another source like the Verizon Cloud by chance?

CarmenT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes