GMail Icon
aeweems12

GMail Icon doesn't show number of unread emails. My Motorola Droid did. Am I missing some setting or does the Galaxy S7 not display number of unread messages?

0 Likes
Re: GMail Icon
bearone21
Legend

you want the icon to show unread messages, i've only seen a number for new messages.

0 Likes
aeweems12

Okay I guess what I meant is new messages. Like what Facebook Messenger does with the number of new messages you have. There's a little round circle with how many new messages I have on Messenger,  but nothing like that shows up on my GMAIL icon.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

is gmail set to sync email??

0 Likes
aeweems12

Yes, I receive my Gmail emails on my phone with no problems. Half the time they show up on my phone before they show up in my inbox on my computer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

aeweems12, that is good that all of your e-mails are still coming through to your in-box. I'm showing that the G-Mail application is working the way it should. I just did a test on my device and it does not show the actual number of unread e-mails that came through. Are you getting the alerts in your notification bar?
KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
aeweems12

I don't think y'all are quite understanding my question, so I'm attaching a screenshot to illustrate my point. In the picture, you can see that a) I have new, unread emails as shown in the notifications bar, b) that I have a new unread Facebook notification as shown by the orange icon at the top right of the Facebook icon, and c) that there is no orange icon at the top right of my Gmail icon showing the number of new unread messages. Why does Gmail not have that orange icon? My Motorola Droid Ultra had the orange icon. Why does my Samsung Galaxy S7 not do the same thing. Is it a Samsung thing? Is it a new Gmail thing? Will there be an update to Gmail that will bring back the orange icon?

Screenshot_20160505-081121 small.png

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually the orange number on the Motorola phone was a DROID customization from Motorola. The Facebook one is likely a Facebook option.

For any other Android devices including Samsung heavily customized UI, the unread badges are not on the Gmail icon.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes