Galaxy S3 and MMS
jeffmoline
Enthusiast - Level 2

To conserve data on my Galaxy S3, I leave my data off. At home and work, I'm connected to WiFi. I get regular text messages just fine, but if a group text or picture message is sent to me, I don't get the text notification until I turn ON my data connection. Shouldn't this service work when I'm on WiFi?

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S3 and MMS
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning and happy Thursday jeffmoline,

The use of wifi is a great way to supplement your data usage on your S3. Another suggestion that I would like to share is calling #DATA on your phone to get a text of the data usage for the billing cycle. I used this all the time since I love watching Youtube videos. While picture messages does travel over the data network, for documentation and billing purposes, this service must be done over the Verizon network. In the event that there is an issue with your picture message, we are able to verify and troubleshoot the delivery since it travel on our network. If you have any additional questions or concerns then feel free to reply as we are here to help.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Meanpplsuk

So I'm having the same problem with the S3. When wifi is on, I'm unable to send or receive mms. With my research it seems to be with the APN settings, which Verizon techs on the phone discourage. Point being, if this problem is resolved with this solution, why can't we have an "approved solution" ? I am including a link by a 3rd party provider but also with the S3 to be reviewed by you guys... There seem to be a lot of ticked off people with the same aggravation.

Please help resolve this issue

Thanks

https://support.solavei.com/thread/4614

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Meanpplsuk,

I understand managing your data is a must and WiFi is the perfect way to help you do this.

Picture messages (MMS) run off our Network and will not work via WiFi. Are you able to send and receive MMS when not connected to WiFi?

John_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
buffaloman

Also, if you are having an issue sending MMS, try going into your settings> more settings>mobile networks> network mode> and change it to LTE/CDMA. Out of the box, the devices seem to be put into global mode to be activated.  Let me know if this works for you!

0 Likes
Timcredible
Enthusiast - Level 2

worked for me, thanks.

solved

0 Likes
DanoWins

This didn't work for me. But I saw on another forum that taking the SIM card out for a couple of minutes might work. I tried it and now I can send MMS & pic messages! Weird. I guess some fixes work on some phones and some fixes work on other phones.

0 Likes
Galaxy S3 and MMS
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

No, you cannot receive MMS (which includes most group messages) while on wifi only.  You need to have a mobile data connection.  You can leave the mobile data on while connected to wifi and it should jump over just long enough to download the message and otherwise default to wifi for your data needs.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Timcredible,

Whew! Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved. Have a great day.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
MLG42088

I noticed that my phone would not send MMS while my wifi is on.  It doesn't seem to matter if mobile data is on or not.  Once I turn my wifi off I can send MMS just fine.

0 Likes