Galaxy S4 KitKat Update Causing Major Issues With Data Speed and Text Messaging
Phaley504
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dear All,

My company has over 40 phone users and since the KitKat update has pushed out we are experiencing two major isssues:

1. Many of our phones are only getting 3G in places that historically before they had blazing fast 4G.  Most message boards say to power off, remove the SIM card and replace.  This gives only temporary relief.  We get 4G for 10 minutes, and then it reverts to 3G, and it is slow 3G at that.  I have seen where some have gone and gotten a replacement SIM, but they indicate this is not a long term solution.  I have also seen that a hard reset/factory reset is being proposed.  However, this seems ridiculous to do to over 40 devises where the obvious cause is the update.  Has anyone found the answer to this one?
  2. Many users, including myself are now having outbound text messages fail.  We have to resend them over and over to get them to go through.  This problem is pretty widespread through the device pool.  I am unsure what could be causing this.  The messages fail regardless of if the phone is connected to wireless or not.
Re: Galaxy S4 KitKat Update Causing Major Issues With Data Speed and Text Messaging
mjvaske15
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had the same problem with my phone. Called tech support and after they contacted Samsung the solution is a factory reset to fix the problem and they are supposedly working on a fix for it. After doing the reset Friday, I have to restart my phone multiple times during the day to get messages to send. I also notice only 3G where we always had 4G. Called tech support again and was given the option to send phone in to have it repaired or get a refurb under warranty. Not sure what I am going to do yet but I can see it is definitely not just my phone. Of course the techs say they have not heard of this before.

Re: Galaxy S4 KitKat Update Causing Major Issues With Data Speed and Text Messaging
wesleynm

After the update I haven't had the issue with the 3g, but have had the issues with the text messaging.  I spoke with Verizon and then suggested the factory reset.  Still same problem.  I contacted Samsung and they tried the same steps, but also suggested that I take my phone into an authorized Samsung dealer (such as Best Buy) and have them reload the firmware.  Haven't tried this yet.

I'm guessing we need more people to complain about the kitkat update to get it fixed.

0 Likes
mjvaske15
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was having the same issue and after getting to tier 2 tech support my phone may be fixed. Will know in the next day or so. The fix was going to main settings, connections tab, more networks, then mobile networks. change network mode to LTE/CDMA and then global data roaming access to allow access for all trip. The tech told me that since the S4 is used by multiple wireless companies the upgrade may have changed the default to global which Verizon does not use. Hope that helps!

BrianJ1948
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am experiencing same problem with my phone, as well as my wife's.

0 Likes
tford8
Enthusiast - Level 2

yes same here will not send text in 3g mode only when i have 4g i will send and where i had 3g now i only have 1x , internet radio cuts in and out now , never had problem till the update very frustrated, verizon techs not very knowledgeable  , just try dumb stuff that a average user has already tried like me ,

Phaley504
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the replies.  My GS4 was in LTE/CDMA, so I can only hope for a future change.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to hear the update gave you signal issues Phaley504. We do our best to make sure updates will help your device and not hinder it. Have we filed a trouble-ticket for your area? If so, do you recall the status of that ticket? If we haven't, this would be the next step towards finding a resolution and finding out if there is an issue in the area or the device. We look forward to hearing from you.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Phaley504
Enthusiast - Level 3

I could, but I have been reading through all of the online boards and the problem seems pretty widespread.  Further, I don't really want to spend 30 minutes on a customer support line to have them run me through the proposed solutions I have read about in other chat rooms that have not solved the problem.  I suppose I will go by the store this weekend and open a ticket, but what I would really like is for Verizon to allow for an update rollback, or for a patch/fix from Google on this one. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello BrianJ1948, help is here front & center! What zip code are you located in? Does signal improve between indoors & outdoors? Have you tried factory resetting both phones? To run a hard reset, view these steps http://vz.to/1g4OjOb

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes