Galaxy S4 Lollipop Roll-Out Begins
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S4 Lollipop Roll-Out Begins
Snn5
Legend

Please people, heed the advice given here on every other updated handset's community area BEFORE updating.

Not applicable

How long before we get the first "Lollipop ruined my S4!" post?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It won't matter where I put the instructions I used to properly update my G2 or any other phone to 5.x as no one will read anyway.

I stand beside the idea that to best update a phone one should fully charge, backup files and disable app data restore and wipe the phone.  While still charged to 100%, take the update and then wipe again.  Set the phone up as you want it and let it run till it dies, then leave off and charge once more to 100%.  This keeps stats correct, keeps old app data from being improperly optimized from Davlik to ART and provides a new clean slate for an OS to be properly installed upon.

Contacts are in Google and apps are in Google Play.  You can go to the GP app or to the Play webpage to re-install the correct versions of each app.  A reset also helps prevent a lot of the Google Play Services errors and other crazy hardware issues.  Just start fresh!!!!!

Those are my best-practice methods anyway, and so far they have worked.  People just want to slap a new OS over an old one, but then find out that doesn't always work so well.  This isn't like upgrading from  4.4 to 4.4.4 (or whichever incremental update) this is a bigger update with bigger changes.

Snn5
Legend

Factory Reset BEFORE the update, not after.  It might help after the fact, but really, the recovery partition is already changed and corrupted possibly, so FDR after an update won't help much usually.

rajilslayer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Would get the update using Samsung kies as well? instead of using ota

0 Likes
timothyc74
Enthusiast - Level 2

No OTA status bar alert, not finding the update when manually checking phone update, no update being detected via Verizon software updated utility on PC or using Kies as of yet.

0 Likes
Cruser2008
Contributor - Level 2

That's actually an interesting method, I'm going to have to try that once the Turbo receives it's update.

timothyc74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Starting now. It's a two download upgrade. First is to "prepare" the device for the 5.0 OS.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

I just got my notification that the lollipop update is available. It said it was the first of two downloads to prepare your phone for lollipop which is the third download. I declined the downloads so I can pick a time to back everything up and FDR the phone prior to installing this. Probably sometime in the next few weeks.