Re: Galaxy S4 Texting issue after KitKat 4.4.2 update
kmorford
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am very unhappy with these problems since the update. I have 5 lines all Samsung products that I paid dearly for and they are all having the same issue. Failed texts, freezing screens and the S4s get so hot they are uncomfortable in your pocket. I am also having battery issues since the update, my phone dies over night. I am also having issues with not getting a 4G signal in the same places I had a great signal before the update. This is just unacceptable. I have tried all the listed fixes ( although I should not have to do a factory reset on my phone because of an update, that's just crazy) to no avail. I pay my bill every month. I am holding up my end of the contract when will verizon hold up theirs? I paid for a NEW phone, NEW phone price, so why would I want a refurbished phone. When I have read so many other posts that say this did not and will not fix the problem???? I cant believe that verizon is even trying this??? OK 1. S4 has a known issue with kit kat (ALL S4s ) 2. A refurbished S4 will also have kit kat. Where and how does this fix the problem????     I loved my phone before this update. Now it is just another thing in my day to slow me down and cause problems. I will not be forced to upgraded and pay a crazy amount for a new phone( as i have 5 of them)....I will go to another carrier first and good luck getting the so called contract to hold up in court, I will NOT be paying a termination fee....I have been with verizon for years, but this is the last straw...

AMP24
Enthusiast - Level 1

I thought I was crazy.. been driving me nuts for weeks.    I have supported smartphones for my company for a few years now and this was driving me nuts!  There is no conceivable rhyme or reason.. it just stops.   Sometimes if I copy and paste the text - the copy will go while the other sits and spins.   Tried turning off and on airplane mode, restarting device..  message hangs ..  I can be in the midst of conversation and will just hang.  i can receive texts, but cannot send..  This is SOOOOO aggravating!!!   Is it truly and OS issue - Is it Android related or Verzion / software related???  I can always switch I suppose..  but doesnt help much if it is a true Android OS issue.  What the heck...

suneyes3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have gotten 3 galaxy s4 minis in about 4 weeks, not to mention the original one, which makes it 4 phones that I have had in the last 8 months or so. Most, not all, but most of the stuff that has been going wrong happened AFTER the kit kat update.

They all have the same problems, I have soft booted, hard booted, safe moded, factory reset and even gone to best buy and had 2 of them flashed.

I have had a discussion on line with Samsung, I have called too many times to figure out, and gone into-again to many times to figure out--Verizon stores.

I have reformatted my sd card. I have gotten a new sd card. with the second to last phone I got a new sim card.

It's ridiculous. Samsung said there was something the matter with my phone and wanted me to send it back; that would have taken 2 weeks for me to get it back. That wasn't going to happen. So verizon sent me a new phone which is the one I just activated Sunday, September 7, 2014. The next day it acted up and it had a new sd card and I had uninstalled all the apps I had on there, which wasn't more than 5.

I can pull up the email I wrote about everything that keeps happening with these phones if you'd like.

I have read so many forums here, Android Central. etc.

I have come across others who have have done all that I have. Before I got the last 3, I factory reset that phone 3 times.

This is just stupid! The common denominator now is Verizon.

I went into a store today and talked with them about this and they at my phone and said it was software and hardware related and had nothing to to with Verizon.

BUT....no one seems to have heard of problems with the s4 mini. SO....what's up with mine?

After 4 phones, I know I am not crazy.

I want out of my contract. Verizon has not help up it's end of the contract and provided me with a phone that works. I have spent more time trying to figure out and get fixed what is wrong with my phones.

It's been a waste of my time and energy. I am supposed to be able to put apps and pictures and music and many many things on this phone and I'm just tired of setting it how I want it because I keep having to re do it.

I like the smallness of this phone but it doesn't work. Too much time, energy, and money in this.

I want Verizon to cancel my contract because they haven't held up their end of the bargain.

I'm not the only one with lots of problems with these phones; read the forums and you will find many people.

Since there isn't a way to email Verizon for help, and when I call in, I have to go through telling the rep whats going on, troubling shooting with him/her, than being sent to tech support and having to go through the whole thing again,

It looks like I have to actually send a letter through the United States Postal Service!

Wow, what tech giant Verizon is that I have to reach them by mail.

I'm not happy. I want a phone that works and a company that will take the time to see what's wrong or look up what's wrong, and/or suggest and help me with something because I'm not doing this insanity anymore. Most of the time the reps and techs have been supportive and/or helpful BUT...I still have a phone that doesn't work and no one has been able to tell me why or even tell me that others are having this problem. I get told something different by most everyone I've talked to.

So after 4 phones, now what?????

L

howhim1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can't believe that I didn't come across news of this issue prior to doing the KitKat upgrade!!!!!!  I just did it last week, and now my phone is practically useless.  Battery drain and text messages not sending.  I went to the Verizon store near my home, and the people there didn't seem to know what the problem was, perhaps toting the company line, not mentioning anything about this terrible issue that seems to be affecting so many people.

They probably can't say to root the phone and go back to the previous version.  I'm seriously thinking about it, and if it turns into a brick, I'm getting an iPhone 6 with AT&T.  My company has a discount plan with AT&T.

It's unbelievable that this has been an issue since May of this year, and still nothing from Verizon.

bkns84
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here, after latest software download my phone has turned into crap. Texts come in but when I respond recipient doesn't receive, also lag in receiving and sending. some txts send/receive ok. I want to downgrade to previous operating system that had no problems however I was told that is not possible.

stef7
Master - Level 2

If you can backup your personal content... then one thing you can do is a Factory Data Reset. This will force you to reinstall programs and setup email again. But it might solve your issue. Unfortunately not all updates install without these sorts of problems cropping up.

Prior to an FDR you may have an option on your device to do what's called a low level cache clear... research that, and that may solve your problems without wiping your device and settings.

Remember though, before attempting an FDR,  backup your personal content.

0 Likes
Banshee962

I found that if I switch wireless off my texts will go through.  PITA, but it works.

0 Likes