Galaxy S5 Screen Visibility Issues?
SPENNINI

I have a combination of problems that started a few weeks ago, without any sort of trauma (dropping on the ground, falling in water, etc).

Problem #1: It started with the yellow-green flicker that I have been reading about. On low brightness or power-saving mode, the screen used to flicker. I tried safe mode as well as a hard factory reset, wiping everything, but that didn't help. Keeping it on max brightness, although battery-draining, helps

Problem #2: But now I have an additional issue: even on max brightness, sometimes the screen doesn't turn on. Not that the screen doesn't recognize I'm touching it (the bottom buttons light up when I do), but it stays black. I can press the power and home button sometimes 10-15 times before the screen actually turns on (it'll just flicker for a second then turn off), though it is responsive even if I can't see it. Even the max brightness doesn't prevent this. I don't know if the two issues are related or not. It's incredibly frustrating.

Methods tried: rebooting in safe mode, soft reset, hard factory reset, wiping cache, keeping screen at max brightness, going into developer mode and changing the screen overlays, deleting all unnecessary apps, freeing up a few extra gb on the memory card, transferring music and photos to sd card, probably more methods I can't remember.

I don't know how to fix it. It's only one year old and I really don't want to have to buy another one. Any thoughts? It's getting to be past the point of inconvenient and almost to the point of not being usable.

Is this a problem with all Androids? if I have to buy a new phone, do I need to get an iPhone instead? I'd rather not, but I don't want to end up with this issue again if I do wind up having to purchase another phone.

I'm using android version 6.0.1. If there is any more information I can provide, let me know. Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S5 Screen Visibility Issues?
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

SPENNINI

Having a working device and screen is crucial. I would like to assist you in resolving this device screen issue for you.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have completed so far. I would like to take a closer look into your device. What is your Samsung Galaxy S 5 current software version: View Software Version - Samsung Galaxy S 5 | Verizon Wireless? You also mentioned testing the device in "safe mode"; did the problems with the screen continue while the device was powered up in safe mode? Please keep me posted so that I can further assist.

AnthonyTa_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
SPENNINI

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Software versions are the following:

Android Version: 6.0.1

Build #: MMB29M.G900VRU2DPG2

Hardware Version: G900V.05

Security Software Version: MDF v1.1 Release 6 and VPN v1.4 Release 6.0

Safe Mode has no effect on either of these issues. Both the green flicker on dim light and the difficulty with turning the screen on still persist while in Safe Mode.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information.

0 Likes
amberk_vzw
Verizon Employee
SPENNINI-

We appreciate your efforts and all of the details that you have provided thus far. I did send you a message to your community inbox so we could provide personalized support. Please reply there so we can keep at this. Thanks so much!

AmberK_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kaleadean
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everything you said involving your S5 is happening with mine. I have not gone thru all the troubleshooting efforts the way you have and since none of them improved the issue at all for u I'm guessing it's hardware related and being that our phones are all past that 1 yr mark we're now wondering how in the world am I going to be able to afford to buy another $600 phone right now? Please tell me my assumptions are totally off cause I don't want to be right about this.

0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

Having issues with the screen on your phone can definitely be frustrating kaleadean. I'm sorry you are having so many issues because this is not the experience we want you to have with our equipment. Thanks for trying all the trouble-shooting steps we have provided. Is there any physical or water damage to your phone? It could definitely be a hardware issue caused by different factors. If you're past the 1-year manufactures warranty, there are a few different replacement options we could offer. Do you have insurance on your account? Depending on the type of insurance on your line, it may cover warranty replacements after the 1-year manufactures warranty has ended fit there is no damage to the phone. The insurance can also provide you with a replacement for a small deductible. Here is a link to the insurance companies website Phoneclaim.com  .

KinquanaH_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes