Galaxy S7 Edge - Random Freeze/Reboot & Intermittened WiFi Connectivity Issues
BrandonGiesel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935V) on Verizon Wireless running Android 6.0.1 with the October Security patch. I've been experiencing issues with my WiFi intermittently where it'll be connected and then it says it "fails to obtain an IP address". This has been happening ever since the September security patch was pushed out. My device has been to the Samsung Repair Center twice and cleared all hardware and software testing.

As of recently, within the last two weeks I've started having my phone freeze up where it becomes unresponsive and then reboots. This happens at most twice a day, but some days I'm lucky and it doesn't happen. No correlation on when it happens.

Have you guys experienced any of these issues before?

Troubleshooting completed:

-Safe Mode

-Factory Data Reset

-Clear Cache App and System

-Software Repair using VZW Repair Tool for Samsung Devices

-Turning off Automatic Date and Time, Setting another Random Time and Date, then switching back to automatic

-Samsung Repair Center

-Using WiFi w/o Bluetooth, NFC, or Location On

-New Sim Card

-Leaving phone off for 2 minutes

I've been in contact with both Samsung and Verizon Wireless' tier 2 technical support teams with no resolution.

Thanks,

Brandon

Re: Galaxy S7 Edge - Random Freeze/Reboot & Intermittened WiFi Connectivity Issues
BrandonGiesel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've also created a thread on Samsung's Community as well to see what responses I get from Samsung support representatives and other owners of the device.

Link to Posting

Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935V) - Random Freezing/Reboot... - Samsung Community - 59945

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S7 Edge - Random Freeze/Reboot & Intermittened WiFi Connectivity Issues
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't seen that with my S7 Edge.

Has Verizon Wireless or Samsung been able to duplicate the problem? Could these issues be caused by the phone overheating? (My old Galaxy S4 would keep dropping and reestablishing the WiFi connection when it became too hot).

If worse comes to worse, replacing the phone might be in order.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Out of curiosity, how old is the wifi router you are connecting to?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I have had the wifi problem since I got the s7 edge and have been on here to see if someone has found a fix for it.  I know I have not seen anything on here or anywhere else that has fixed this problem .I have reset the phone and the router and I still have this problem. We have 2 edges and only having trouble with one of them 

0 Likes
BrandonGiesel
Enthusiast - Level 2

The WiFi router that I'm using is less than 1 year old. My ISP replaced it about a month ago. It's the Actiontec MI424WR Rev.I from Frontier Communications.

0 Likes
BrandonGiesel
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone does it get uncomfortably warm at times, but hasn't done that in a while. However, it isn't overheating or getting warm when it has had these issues. It also hasn't been warm since it's last trip to the Samsung Repair Center.

0 Likes
BrandonGiesel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Kathy, I'm sorry to hear that you are having the same troubles. On the other hand, it is somewhat relieving that I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. I'm wondering if it's a bug within the Samsung firmware for the radios.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have the same router with my Verizon FiOS service. I haven't dropped any connections to it with my S7, except if I am a distance away.  My S4 does recycle the connection due to distance and heat.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I really appreciate you taking so much time to find a solution, kathy65793. You’ve already tried some great steps but I want to be sure we find out what’s causing one of your devices to have trouble connecting while the other connects seamlessly. Can you please fill me in on exactly what happens with your S7 Edge that is having WiFi problems? When you reset your phone, did you use the steps from https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-203264/ and have the Automatic Restore option turned off?

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes