Galaxy S8 and Gmail
KFC0629

I have read there are issues with Gmail not pushing notifications when email arrives and my phone is doing that as well.  The only way I can see if I have email is to go into the App and swipe down to refresh.  I contacted Verizon and tried deactivating and reactivating Google and Gmail multiple times and still no luck.  Other than this, this phone ROCKS - the camera is truly amazing.  Any help or advice?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S8 and Gmail
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have any background data restrictions?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KFC0629

I found where that is and "Allow Background Data Usage" is turned on, if that's what you mean.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is.

I don't have your phone model, but my Gmail messages are delivered immediately to my phone. The only ones I don't have an immediate notification is ones that go into my updates or promotions folders.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to be able to get your notifications as they are received, KFC0629. Have you gone into your Gmail application and synced your email in the Settings tab? You can also verify that your notifications are turned on in the settings for each folder that the messages are directed towards. Please let us know if you are using a different email application if it is not Gmail.

JoshuaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
KFC0629

I've done all of that multiple times.  I am using Gmail and made it my default email program.  It's synced and my notifications are all turned on.  Nothing works.  I'm not willing to do a factory reset only for it to not work again.  We completely uninstalled Google and started over and it still doesn't work.  I'm hoping that it'll get fixed during one of the application updates.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for all your efforts with the phone, KFC0629. I know how important it is that you receive all the proper notifications. Is the issue with your phone only happening with Gmail notifications? For example, do texts and other app notifications come through?

NicoleB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KFC0629

Yes, I get notifications from everything else, including missed calls, voice mails, texts, and Facebook Messenger.  My son recommended I try using the Google "Inbox" app rather than Gmail to see if that would pick up the notifications, and it doesn't pick that up either.  As soon as I open either Gmail or Inbox, the email shows up, I just don't get the notification that it arrived.  As I stated in my original post, I have read in forums regarding the Galaxy S8 that other people aren't getting Gmail notifications either, so I know I'm not the only one.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Got it, KFC0629. I know this can be an annoyance. Let’s keep trucking down the road toward a resolution. With the information that you provided me, I’ve noticed other Samsung users have this same issue too. Has the notification ever worked on your phone? Some steps that I show are: Go to Settings -> Apps Click the : Menu in top right, select -> [Special Access] Select > Optimize Battery Usage -> Click the dropdown menu towards the top of the screen that says: "Apps not optimized [v]" -> change to [All Apps] Add any application you want to get notifications for without delay, all the time. Eg, Chrome, Gmail, Facebook, etc. Let us know how that goes for you.

-TakendraW_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

0 Likes
KFC0629

Okay I did that (and that wasn't tried before) so fingers crossed.  I'll test it out today at work and send myself an email.  I'll keep you posted! Smiley Happy

0 Likes