Galaxy S8+ audio/microphone issue unable to hear calls
shawn_murphey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently purchased a galaxy S8+ and have had no issues up until yesterday.  Someone tried to call me and I was able to hear them, but they were unable to hear me.  Tried calling back and same thing.  As of now no one can hear me when making a phone call, UNLESS I put them on speakerphone, then they can hear me perfectly.  Absolutely no audio goes through (just complete silence) when on any call unless on speakerphone.

I've tried all Verizon troubleshooting tips:

Not problem location (tested on and off wifi, at multiple locations)

HD Voice disabled/re-enable

Device restart, power-off

Issue reproduced on multiple phone #'s, including cell and land lines

Bluetooth disabled/re-enable

Checked mic for dust & debris

Safe mode enabled/disabled

I've also tried doing a 'Settings reset' but the problem persists.

I went to a Verizon store and the employee said to try troubleshooting, then as a last case to do a factory reset.  I'd really like to avoid a factory reset. 

Is there any other things I can try to fix my device?  Thanks.  Will reply with any solutions that I find.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S8+ audio/microphone issue unable to hear calls
shawn_murphey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue posted on Samsung's troubleshooting page here:

Re: Galaxy S8 - other people can't hear me on call... - Page 3 - Samsung Community - 117188

shawn_murphey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Found a good related thread here:

Mic not working - Page 2 - Samsung Community - 96747

Still no solutions, however, besides getting my phone replaced under warranty/insurance.

Any recommendations??

0 Likes
shawn_murphey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just switched to Verizon, not impressed by the lack of customer service.

Went ahead and did a factory reset today, and it didn't fix the issue.  Calls work on speakerphone so hardware wise microphone is ok.  Must be software right?  Well factory reset should have fixed that, and it didn't.  So what is the issue?  Month old phone, never dropped, not a scratch on it, and I can't even make a phone call.  My only option is to send in my brand new phone for a refurbished phone through warranty - this is ridiculous.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having issues with a brand new phone is never the experience we want you to have with us shawn.murphey. We appreciate you performing those trouble-shooting step. I'm sorry it didn't fix your issues. The last step is to have the phone replaced with a certified like new phone of the same model. Our replacement devices are in excellent condition and work great for our customers because they've gone through an extensive check. I'm confident that your issues will be resolved. How does that sound?

KinquanaH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupportIf  my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer?  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our  conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
shawn_murphey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Replacing my brand new phone was the ONLY solution if I want to make phone calls, so I went with that option.  I don't believe that replacing a phone is a true solution or 'Correct Answer' to an underlying hardware/software problem.

For anyone reading this, I would recommend using the Samsung forums, as a representative is actively trying to fix the underlying problem.  I would urge others with the same issue to go to the link below and post their information so that this problem can be resolved.

Galaxy S8 - other people can't hear me on calls - Page 4 - Samsung Community - 117188

Juju3087
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow. That's freaking crazy. Why wouldn't they just give you a new phone l. Things are over priced anyway. I switched from ATT to verizon recently and already kind of regretting it. But I had a similar issue when I first got that S8+ under verizon. I would call and people could only hear me on speaker. So I put in my skull candy ear buds that I always used with my S6 with no problem. Still, they couldn't hear me. I used the ear buds in that came with the S8 and they worked.

The phone seems to have fixed itself and now people can hear me but those skull candy ear buds that were kind of expensive still won't work with this phone. Overall there's an issue with the phone. If someone's new car is defective you don't give them a used car, that's common sense.

fjohn1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The replacements are not like new. I did it several months ago with a month old phone. Battery never matched new quality

OASIS6012
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the exact same problem on my Galaxy S8 that is only 2 weeks old. I bought it (through Verizon) brand new and it's never been dropped and has no damage. I don't think it's right that we choose to buy, and pay for, a brand new phone and when it has problems from the start that the only option is to trade it in for a refurbished phone. If I wanted a refurbished phone, I would've picked a cheaper phone from the get go.

mafrank

Potential solution - try cleaning out the mix hole. I used the took to pop out the sim card gently stuck it in the tiny mic hole to the right of the charging port. Wiggled is gently a bit and seems to be working again. Keeping my fingers crossed!

0 Likes