Getting statewide voice weather alerts
cornarch

Have had a Galaxy A53 for about 4 weeks ago. About 2 weeks ago I started getting "statewide" voice National Weather Service (NWS) weather alerts when storms are moving thru Missouri. I'm in St. Louis, and I'm getting voice weather alerts from NWS offices in Springfield, MO, Kansas City, MO, Paducah, KY and St. Louis, MO.  The alerts are very long, like their reading the text alerts issued by the NWS word for word.  I've deleted all my weather apps and shortcuts to weather web sites.

Even with the phone's Wireless Emergency Alerts setting shut OFF, these voice alerts keep coming.  With the Wireless Emergency Alerts setting ON, I do not get the text message of the weather alert on the screen, like I did with my old S8+.  So it seems like these voice weather alerts have overridden or taken the place of the normal Wireless Emergency Alerts.

When the voice weather alerts come thru, there is no indication on the screen, and no indication in the notification shade related to these voice weather alerts.  Tapping the power button does nothing to stop the voice weather alerts. The only way to stop hearing the alerts is to turn down the volume.

Last weekend there were no storms around, and there was a voice message that came thru that said testing.  They said the name of a company or firm, but I was unable to understand exactly what they said.

I've been to two (2) Verizon stores, one of which was a corporate store.  They said they've never heard of this before.  All they did was scroll thru the apps on my phone.  They were no help at all.

I'm familiar with all the apps on my phone, and there are no apps on my phone that would even hint as having anything to do with weather since I deleted my weather apps.

It's like Verizon, Samsung or someone is pushing these voice weather alerts to a  hidden app on my phone.

My brother-in-law got a new Samsung phone and was having the same problem. He's on AT&T and he went to their store and there were many people there complaining about the same problem. He said they somehow shut off these weather alerts, but they made him sign a waiver.

It's very annoying to get these voice weather alerts/warnings for areas that are hundreds of miles away from where I am.  It's like crying wolf too often, and one then ignores all the alerts/warnings.

Has anyone else had this problem? 

If so, how did you stop these voice weather alerts.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes