Google Chrome: ERR connection timed out
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

This has been going on for a while now. Almost every time I try to use Chrome for browsing, it gets stuck (loading bar only slightly filled) and then I get the error message. Sometimes if I leave it alone for a minute or two, a page might actually load. Most of the time, it times out. It doesn't matter if I'm on wifi or mobile.

I've tried changing different settings and "uninstalling" and reinstalling the browser; Can't really uninstall, just uninstall the updates. I've resorted to used Firefox to browse anything now, which is a pain because it's so much more obviously slower than Chrome on a phone. I could try another browser, but I really just want chrome to work like it used to.

Screenshot_2016-12-29-12-54-11.png

0 Likes
Re: Google Chrome: ERR connection timed out
bearone21
Legend

are you in a questionable or poor reception area??

0 Likes
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

No. This happens when I'm home on my wifi (other devices on the wifi are working fine) or if I turn off wifi and go on mobile data. It happens when connected to other secure wifi too. I can be home, downtown, at my doctor's office... Always the same thing.

I've had this phone for over 2 years now and the issue only started in the last couple months or so.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you disable any of the Google processes in the application listing under the phone settings?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

As far as I can tell, no I haven't changed any settings. If you tell me, specifically, what setting could be affecting it, I can double check

I have been picking around with the Chrome privacy settings, turning everything on and off to see if anything there is affecting it. It doesn't seem to make a difference, either way. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't know which it might be. Did you disable any applications on the phone? Let's start with the list of those items.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is very odd behavior mimsydreamer. I understand how you would like to get this corrected. What make and model device do you have. Has this always been this way? Has this always been the case when you try to browse?

TionnaB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Galaxy S5. This has been happening for maybe 5-6 months now. I don't know the exact time it started. I first noticed Chrome issues when it wouldn't allow me to log into secure Wifi; the page would freeze then time out. I still, to this day, have to make my default browser Firefox in order to log into wifi outside of my home.

Not being able to even browse websites now is extremely frustrating.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for those details, mimsydreamer. Have you tried to uninstall Chrome, power cycle the device and then reinstall Chrome?

NicoleT_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
mimsydreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have tried uninstalling, restarting, then reinstalling. My phone doesn't allow me to completely uninstall though, just uninstall updates.

This is a screen shot of another error that I get often, as well. I haven't been able to find any information on how to fix it, and I believe it's related to the other issue. Today, none of my browsers would connect to any websites, not just Chrome. So it seems this is an overall network connection issue.

Thank you for your time!

Screenshot_2017-01-06-12-24-32.png

0 Likes