Group texts stop working
Jamessantosuosso
Enthusiast - Level 1

How this issue is still not fixed amazes me.

Group texts suddenly stop working and will spin in their individual chats. You hit download and wait who knows how long for it to go through. 

Here is a post from another thread that was locked. I have tried all of this. My issue has been on an S10, S8, and other devices. It does not matter. 

"Yep, same issue as literally everyone else here.

Before you try to give me the run-around.

• Yes, I've had this issue for YEARS.
  • I'm in a group chat with both Android and iPhone users, the latter of whom were obviously using iMessage.
  • I'm using an S20 FE 5G, just swapped from an S9+, same issue on both phones.
  • Have used multiple messaging apps, Message+, Samsung Message, Android Messages
  • I've turned WiFi off and tried using data only, have also tried using WiFi only
  • I am sitting next to my router which is pumping 500 megabits of data per second into my phone, it is absolutely not my WiFi
  • I literally have a 5G connection to Verizon from my house, it says so right there in my status bar. Doesn't matter anyway, this issue persists on the go and at home.
  • Yes, all my regular MMS messages in regular 1-on-1 conversations send and receive fine, it's only in these group ones. Happens in every group text I'm in.
  • Yes, I am planning to leave Verizon because of this horsedirt. You've had multiple chances with so many different customers within this thread to fix it, and I haven't seen one person say you helped them. It's been a year since this thread was started.
  • I have literally changed every variable in this problematic situation possible to try solving it. Phone, app, data connection, the only thing I haven't changed is my connection to this awful company."

Labels (1)
Re: Group texts stop working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would like to get to the bottom of this with you. We have sent you a Private Note for more direct assistance. Let us know if you have any trouble responding to such. 

VZW_RobertH

0 Likes
Kokonuts
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can we actually post a resolution bc I have the exact same issues except I just switched from the s9 instead of the plus and all mms seems to stop working when group messages stop. This has been a problem for YEARS!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are here to assist in any way we can. Please send us a Private Note to proceed.

*Kerry

0 Likes
Kokonuts
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so I have sent a private message as I was instructed to do and have not received a response. In that message I advised that on 7/31/21 a friend of mine asked me about a mms I had sent him that day. I hadn't sent him any message in over a month. Upon further review I found that that pic he had just received was sent on 6/12/19.  Today my mother called me about a video she had just received. Again I had not sent her anything and that message was sent 12/10/20. What is going on here? What I originally thought was the problem was my mms messages weren't sending randomly but this has turned into something much bigger. Right now my workaround is to placed my phone into airplane mode, close the text app, remove phone from airplane mode, share the message to the same recipient, and then delete the original. Has about a 75% success rate but I shouldn't have to do this. Perhaps finding a new carrier is the better option.

DangOlMoi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here. It's been going on for a few months now but I've only had my Samsung A71 5G since maybe mid-year 2020. I've tried restarting my phone, I've tried deleting the group txts (not optimal since there is sometimes info I want to refer to later in them, like when planning a trip), making sure my phone is up to date of course, etc. 

I'm using the txt messaging app that came with the phone which is just called "Messages", V 12.2.20.41. The messages will cease to come in to the group txt & will instead go to each individual's txt list - but they don't *actually* come in. It just shows that they're downloading but they don't unless I go in & select each one. Then they'll sometimes start to come through to the group & sometimes I have to restart & try it all again & wash/rinse/repeat/etc/etc/etc. 

More recently my txts don't send to the group either & resending only sometimes works. 

I only have 2 other people in the particular txt group that I use all the time. One is using an iPhone & one is using an Android so it's not platform-specific. Verizon's system is where the difficulty is happening because it doesn't just happen with one person's txts & not the other. It happens simultaneously with both - everything stops working at once. 

This appears to be a long-standing problem so it would be excellent if tech support would post some solutions for us to try.

Thanks & happy new year!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DangOlMoi, 

We don't want this to be an ongoing problem. A group message is a multi-media message that requires a data connection on our network. Is your device connected to Wi-Fi or our cellular data network when you have this issue? We recommend that you disable Wi-Fi and connect to our cellular data network when sending group messages. Let us know if this step works for you. 

-Lasina

0 Likes
Kokonuts
Enthusiast - Level 2

As I've stated in my own post the problem is not wifi. I can personally attest to doing the same troubleshooting and seeing the same results. This is a network issue. 

Still haven't gotten a response to that private message, btw.

Added bonus I used to be vzw phone technician. It's not us!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh, my! I deeply apologize, as I'm not showing a previous Private Note from you. We want you to be able to use your device as intended & are here to help! I've sent you a Private Note. Please reply at your earliest convenience. -Kia

0 Likes
swish28
Enthusiast - Level 1

I like that the Verizon solution is to"private message" (sarcasm). This is a mass problem, did it for the masses. My wife's phone and mine are doing the same thing. Is it a Verizon issue, or a Samsung issue, or both?? Provide an answer for everyone, because this is A MASS ISSUE