Has anyone else been experiencing problems with the GPS on their galaxy s3?
Brett07

Lately my gps has not been functioning properly (location slightly off, lagging quite a bit while in navigation). However today the GPS just stopped working all together for no apparent reason. It just continually says searching for GPS. It is really frustrating to pay so much money to Verizon for a phone that only sort of works.

0 Likes
Re: Has anyone else been experiencing problems with the GPS on their galaxy s3?
clee1

Both my s4s do this as well they go to black screen about every day when the nav is on

0 Likes
Leopold3

Mine s3,does this as well. I have to exit nab, close app & restart. Not cool when driving in unfamiliar places.

It seems to happen less frequently with all 3'location services on. (Google, Verizon & standalone)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Brett07, Let's make sure you never get lost because of the GPS! I have quite a few steps we can try! Check GPS settings Settings -> Location services -> Check "VZW location services", "Standalone GPS services", "Google location services".  Check Mobile data and call are enabled from the bar on the top of the notification screen. Next let's enable Google location service at Settings -> Accounts: Google -> Location settings -> Turn on "Let Google apps access your location." Also go to, Settings -> Application manager -> All -> Maps -> Clear data -> Force stop. Press and hold "Home Key" and Close all. Once again press and hold "Home Key" and Task manager -> RAM tab -> Clear memory. Launch Maps and test again. I look forward to hearing positive results!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lets get you on the right path without that GPS stopping! For best performance of GPS, turn on all the location services of device which are "VZW location services", "Standalone GPS services", "Google location services".

If this does not work then go to Accounts -> Google -> Location settings -> Turn on "Let Google apps access your location".

Next step: Setting application manager -> All -> Maps -> Clear data -> Force stop Press hold 'Home Key' and Close all. Then select -> Task manager -> RAM tab -> Clear memory. Launch Maps or Navigation. Test out. Please let me know if the issue persists.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
sococky
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would suggest keeping your wifi turned on.  I've had many a situation where I got no GPS and really needed it.  Keep the wifi on and was saved somewhat.  It's not great but wilI get you thru.  Also Google Maps/Navigation instead of VZW Navigation. 

0 Likes
djnem
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have experienced this a couple of times and this always works. Take the back cover off and you will see small Phillips head screws. Tighten all of them. I use an eyeglass screwdriver. This happened to me last week when travelling and couldn't get the GPS to find a signal and when it momentarily did, it wouldn't lock on to my location.

As soon as I tightened theses scews, it began to work flawlessly. I don't know how these screws get loose but this has happened to me twice since I have owned the phone and both times tightening the screws fixed the problem. It also seems to improve the signal strength.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

You would be better off just exchanging the phone.  Most times, those little screws have stickers on them that will void your warranty if they have been messed with, to make sure you haven't taken apart your phone.

0 Likes
djnem
Enthusiast - Level 1

The screws are completely exposed and you will not void your warranty.  Getting a new handset will not solve this problem.  Search this on the Internet and you will see that this is a common problem with this phone.  It will take a few seconds and will solve this problem.  Or you can keep exchanging your phone and deal with this problem until you get a different phone???

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Most phones have the sticker on at least one of the screws holding the casing together and, yes, I think it is better to exchange the phone due to a lack of functionality than to do something that will cause you to not be able to exchange it if/when and issue pops up that you can't fix.  I would hate to see somebody send their phone in for an exchange for a different issue just to have them get charged full price because they were monkeying with their phone without somebody telling them of the risk they are taking.  Always better for someone to be informed than to just tell them to do something.