Having Difficulty texting with friends with AT&T phones
Fyrman435
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I receive a text message from an AT&T Phone, it is received from the persons phone number with text.att.net at the end. So even if I have the person in my contact list, the text does not show it is from them, it just shows the number and text.att.net. Then when I reply to the message, it automatically converts to SMS which creates problems on the receivers end reading the message.

However, if I initiate the text to the person using just their phone number, (which is in my contact list) it sends to them and they recieve it as a normal text.

Is there a setting in my phone to fix this or is this an AT&T issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Having Difficulty texting with friends with AT&T phones
Not applicable

If you go into your contacts and search on @vzwpics or @vtext.com delete them.

Then send another text using just the cell number of your friend at AT&T  like 000-000-0000 just put his number in place of my zero examples.

Once any remnants of either are removed from your device have your friend do the same.

It should then work as was meant to.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

It is a fluke. I have a friend who sends me text and I messages all the time. In his contacts he has my email address, as well as my phone number. That email address ends with @vtext.com

So it comes through but it should be sent from an email program. But MMS and text messages can be sent as email so I often times see messaging.sprintpcs.com on the message when received.

If you simply reply you get what you just wrote about. If I send just to his number it goes through perfectly as it should.

The address you see as att.com go into your computer or your phones email program and type it the way you received it. They will get your text now as an email.

I often get a phone call with his recorded messages to my home phone. I still have not figured out how to do it back to him. Maybe only sprint has that feature.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Did your friend initiate the text? Did he use his email client because he didnt have a text plan or was having trouble using his SMS client?

Delete both threads on his and your phone. You initiate it with his phone number. If it comes back the same he needs to talk to AT&T there's a problem on their end or his phone.

Fyrman435
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the suggestions. He and I both deleted each other out of our phones, and he sent me a text using my phone number. It still came up with the att.net at the end. So, I had him text my wife, (he is not in her contacts) and the phone number came up normal. She replied with no issues as well, went through as a normal text. I'm way confused, because I have multiple friends with AT&T service this is happening with, not just the one.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

try initiating a text with him.  Then have him respond.  If it comes back normal then it's AT&T problem.  The reason being because his device or AT&T is making their SMS route to you from their email server and not the IMS server.

Fyrman435
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I initiate a text to him, he gets my name and info like normal. When he replies to me, it comes back with the @att.net at the end. Then if I reply to that message, it converts to MMS, and then he receives the message from me from vzwpix.com.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That's an AT&T problem or his phone is the problem. What device does he have and what do you have and what OS versions.

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you go into your contacts and search on @vzwpics or @vtext.com delete them.

Then send another text using just the cell number of your friend at AT&T  like 000-000-0000 just put his number in place of my zero examples.

Once any remnants of either are removed from your device have your friend do the same.

It should then work as was meant to.

Good Luck

0 Likes