How can I add notification sounds to my GS8+?
RAPALINE1247
Enthusiast - Level 2

I like the old Whistle sound from my GS4 phone. I would like to use this as a notification sound on my GS8+.
I found a youtube that shows you how to create a Media folder and Notifications/Notification sounds folder. I did that. 
Messages and other apps still only show the defaults. Where does Messages get it's list? Is there no way to add other sounds to this list?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How can I add notification sounds to my GS8+?
RAPALINE1247
Enthusiast - Level 2

That was indeed it.  I uploaded the sounds I wanted from my S4 to the computer.  Then I brought up a web page called
Convert OGG to MP3 (Online &      Free) — Convertio
Selected the sounds I wanted, pulled them down to my S8 and it added them to the list. 

Seems kinda silly that the phone can play the ogg files (not OCC as noted above), but can't use them like a previous model.  But whatev's....  got'em and I'm happy.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can place .mp3 files in the following folders in the phone's internal storage:

Ringtones - for use as ringtones

Notifications - for use as notifications

Alarms - for use as alarms

Messages would pull notification sounds from the Notifications folder.

Another option is to use ZEDGE™ Ringtones & Wallpapers - Android Apps on Google Play

0 Likes
RAPALINE1247
Enthusiast - Level 2

So.... The old phone used something like an OCC file instead of mp3. Maybe that's the issue...tho my GS8 certainly knows how to play them. It just won't use them for the intended purpose.

0 Likes
RAPALINE1247
Enthusiast - Level 2

That was indeed it.  I uploaded the sounds I wanted from my S4 to the computer.  Then I brought up a web page called
Convert OGG to MP3 (Online &      Free) — Convertio
Selected the sounds I wanted, pulled them down to my S8 and it added them to the list. 

Seems kinda silly that the phone can play the ogg files (not OCC as noted above), but can't use them like a previous model.  But whatev's....  got'em and I'm happy.

0 Likes