How can I extend the screen timeout?
h_josie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is 10 minutes the only amount of time before screen goes dark?  I need it to stay on indefinitely.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How can I extend screen timeout
h_josie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon on facebook just sent me the answer below.  It works as I just tried it.  My Dad will be so glad.  Thank you Ann for responding!

Josie

Verizon Thank you for reaching out to us regarding the screen timeout settings on your S5, Josie. We'd be happy to assist with the available options in this situation. The best reccomendation would be to enable Air Wake Up. You can find this option under settings > accessibility > dexterity and interaction and then tap air wake up. This will allow him to easily remove screen look by waiving his hand over the device. Do you think this feature will work for you guys? - Christopher

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Go to settings/display and you will see screen time out tap that and you can set it to 15  seconds to 10 minutes

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

in the same screen there is smart stay just tap that it will keep it on as long as you are looking at it

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Smart Stay is a Samsung feature and isn't available on other devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why do you need it to stay on?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
h_josie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm glad you asked, I should have put that down.  My totally blind Dad listens to books on tape, I put a sticky dot where he needs to press to pause the book (he doesn't like to bother me all the time he needs to take a break), but when the screen turns off, he can't press the sticky dot.  How does the Smart Stay work with - how does it know you are looking at the phone?

Josie

(Not sure if I reply to you both on this)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should look into the Accessibility settings for low vision options. The Talkback features is geared towards guiding blind and low vision users in around their device.

You can also try if the Google Now voice commands could pause the phone even when the phone has the screen off.

Smart Stay uses the proximity sensors to tell if the user's eyes are looking directly at the device. Even your phone is a Samsung or another manufacturer who includes a similar feature, it won't work for someone who can't actually see the device.

h_josie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon on facebook just sent me the answer below.  It works as I just tried it.  My Dad will be so glad.  Thank you Ann for responding!

Josie

Verizon Thank you for reaching out to us regarding the screen timeout settings on your S5, Josie. We'd be happy to assist with the available options in this situation. The best reccomendation would be to enable Air Wake Up. You can find this option under settings > accessibility > dexterity and interaction and then tap air wake up. This will allow him to easily remove screen look by waiving his hand over the device. Do you think this feature will work for you guys? - Christopher

0 Likes