How can I monitor data usage by app by the hour on my phone?
Jer_B

Both my wife and I seem to be burning through mobile data on our Galaxy S9+ phones. In order to figure out why this is happening I would like to know exactly which apps are using data, by the hour (or less), and if possible whether this is foreground or background data usage.

The only mobile data usage info I can find on the phone using stock apps is in Settings, and although it breaks apps down between foreground and background usage it only gives their usage per data cycle with no apparent way to view it by hour.

Verizon's website will show data usage by session, which is in smaller time increments and if I understand correctly is 6 hours at the most, but it can't show usage by app.

I looked for data usage apps in Google Play and Datally (by Google) was the only one I could find by a developer I trust so I installed it. It has a very simple graph of total mobile usage by hour but no apparent way to see which apps made up each hour's usage. It does show each app's data usage by day, but other than showing how much each app used "recently" today (whatever that means) I can't see a way to show data usage in any finer detail or by foreground/background usage. Knowing how much data an app used by day is rather pointless to me when it's an app I've used multiple times throughout the day. I'd have to keep a manual log of my phone activity throughout the day which seems wrong when the phone should be able to do this for me. It also doesn't help me determine which apps may be using background data more than I'd like.

Even looking through apps by developers I don't know I was able to find only one that mentioned showing usage by hour, Data Usage Monitor & Manager by Simply DroidApps, but 1) I don't install apps by develops I don't think I can trust, 2) I don't install apps with ads, and 3) many reviews say the reported data is not accurate.

It doesn't seem like this would be such a difficult thing to accomplish. Or is there something I'm missing? I'm pretty technically savvy and am not interested in setting data caps or alerts, I just want to know exactly where my data is being used.

0 Likes
Re: How can I monitor data usage by app by the hour on my phone?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jer.B, I can understand why you'd want to know the details of your data usage. To protect your privacy, we don't see the exact way that you use your data. Here are the tools that we have available to monitor your usage. http://spr.ly/6588DxJoq Here is some additional information. http://spr.ly/6589DxJoS Does this help?

Joel_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

your links are no good!

bearone21
Legend

settings/battery, can give you which apps are using the most, whether it be data or wi-fi.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
bearone21
Legend

thanks.....maybe it's me, chrome browser & i've seen "oops" on a few other verizon links also today.

0 Likes