Re: How can I prevent the S5's screen from coming on when charging completes?
TLChai
Enthusiast - Level 1

Go to the settings menu and search "charging". It should bring up "Stay Awake" (screen will never sleep while charging) and uncheck it. For some reason that is buried in the developer options menu. Hope it works!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jtown thanks for the details of thesteps you have tried. We are not shwoing this is a defect in the device. I wouldn't recommend resetting the phone because it appears this is how the s5 is supposed to function. You can unplug it from the charger and power it off once charging is complete. Please keep us posted.

Sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

Now we're onto something.  How do I get to the developer menu?  When I go to settings and search for charging, it just shows me "The red LED lights up when you charge your device while the screen is off".

Nevermind.  I found it.  Testing now...

Verizon should give you a $50 credit on your next bill.  If this works, you just saved them a $600 return.

jtown
Contributor - Level 3

Great success!  The screen came on bright, dimmed, then shut off.  Pay the man!

BTW, to enable the developer menu, go to Settings, About device, then tap "Build number" repeatedly.  After a few taps, you'll see a message that says you're X steps away from being a developer.  Tap Build number X more times.  Once it's enabled, back up to settings and you'll see the "developer options" menu towards the bottom.  Select this, then uncheck that pesky "stay awake" box.

SMW_Washington_IL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why would you even say that, we all know screen burn in happens.

0 Likes
jrs_pdx
Enthusiast - Level 1

Very nice and thanks to Jtown for staying on the case.  This is ridiculous behavior for a phone and should never had been defaulted.   I also am questioning support's knowledge of their own phones.  This should have been an easy answer.

bearone21
Legend

one of the best fixes outside verizon staff ever.

rtbigred
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you so much, there is no link that I can find anywhere to the Developer Options. 

Your advice is exactly what is needed. VERIZON should hire you.

0 Likes
aj1947
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same problem, and I've turned off smart stay and my developers optons, the only thing that's changed is now my device will turn off for a few seconds, ping and come back on, then fade to black. And repeat,  I'm at wits end, help?