How do I adopt my sd card as internal memory?
profcommie

I have upgraded my Galaxy S5 to Marshmallow and was really looking forward to being able to incorporate my SD card into internal memory. I constantly run out of App space on my 16GB internal so I wanted to be able to expand the memory. However, everything I find tells me I should be able to just insert it and set it up, or go to Storage, but adoption does not show up as an option for the memory card.

Am I missing something or did this option get disabled on Verizon?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I adopt my sd card as internal memory?
deloused
Master - Level 3

This is their reason- "Samsung decided not to use the Android Marshmallow “adoptable storage” model. We believe that our users want a microSD card to transfer files between their phone and other devices (laptop, tablet, etc), especially the photos and videos they shoot with the camera."

Nothing to do with the carrier's, they don't affect that part of the software

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

For whatever reason, Samsung removed access to adoptable storage in their implementation of Marshmallow.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

This is their reason- "Samsung decided not to use the Android Marshmallow “adoptable storage” model. We believe that our users want a microSD card to transfer files between their phone and other devices (laptop, tablet, etc), especially the photos and videos they shoot with the camera."

Nothing to do with the carrier's, they don't affect that part of the software

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Now that you've posted it, I remember reading that explanation before, but since it was some time ago, I'd forgotten.   Thanks for posting the quote.

The quote and additional information can be found here:

The LG G5 and Galaxy S7 won’t support Android 6.0’s adoptable storage | Ars Technica

0 Likes
WFRIDD38

Android Marshmallow apparently eliminated the feature that allowed you to move part of the APP to the SD card to free up phone memory (if the APP supported that feature).  Is there another way of moving some of the APP memory to the SD card on the Galaxy S5?

0 Likes