How do I connect via USB to transfer files?
SybeRanger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Prior to the Marshmallow upgrade I could connect via USB to my computer and see the files on it. Now, apparently, the default setting is to charge the phone (which, btw, it did without having to set a "default" anything to 'charging' prior to the OS upgrade to marshmallow) and not to viewing the files (phone content or file structure). Once the phone is connected, it appears you have one chance to set the connection type to view files vs charging, and once that setting is "set" you can't change that setting. Disconnected and reconnected several times to no avail.

Is there a menu item, somewhere, that I can set to change the USB settings from "charge" to "view files" while the phone is connected via USB, or prior to connecting via USB to a computer?

Not to burst any bubbles or anything - and I know Developers work real hard to improve these phones - but a change to the system without notifying end-users how to use the improvements, or providing easy ways to figure out how to do things if you miss such a notification, is not an improvement to the system. It's especially frustrating when you have to comb user discussion boards for clues to discover how to do something and the answers you get are incomplete or not helpful.

In that light, here's a suggestion: When the OS is changed, and that change impacts the previous way something worked, provide a complete "newbie level" explanation about how to perform that function under the new OS. Preferably simultaneous with (if not immediately prior to) the release of the OS. It would be wonderful if this help were available on the phone, because that's were most people would go to look for it, as opposed to having to search Verizon.com or google for explanation on a computer.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: how do you connect via USB to transfer files
SybeRanger
Enthusiast - Level 2

With Marshmallow, the default USB connection is charging only.  Pull down your notification shade and tap the notification that says you're connected for charging; change it to Transferring Media Files.

POSTED UNDER ANOTHER POST!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SybeRanger
Enthusiast - Level 2

With Marshmallow, the default USB connection is charging only.  Pull down your notification shade and tap the notification that says you're connected for charging; change it to Transferring Media Files.

POSTED UNDER ANOTHER POST!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep, with the Marshmallow update, the USB mode default is charge only.  Pull down the notification shade and tap the notification that says Connected for Charging, then change it to Transferring Media Files.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like you found the answer right before I finished posting it. 

0 Likes