How do I move contacts from a deactivated phone to a new one?
Kinkybobo

recently upgraded to a Galaxy S8 from a GS5 and can't figure out how to get my contacts onto the new phone. I had sync turned off on my old phone and didn't enable it before switching service to my new phone. I've tried syncing my contacts to Verizon cloud but it wont allow me to connect with my old phone since my new phone now has my old phones number. Help!

0 Likes
Re: How do I move contacts from a deactivated phone to a new one?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I seem to recall a feature on my S4 where you could transfer the content from an old phone to a new phone via Bluetooth as a part of the setup/factory default process. There might also be a way to pull the information out by connecting the S5 to a computer, but, I'll have to defer to others who know for sure. Another possibility would be to temporarily reactivate the S5 long enough to transfer the contact information to the cloud and then switch back to the S8.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Have you tried backing up your contacts to Google instead of Verizon? Your old phone does not have to have an active Verizon connection in order to back up your information to Google. I would recommend against backing up to Verizon. Google's backup service is much more reliable and easier to use, especially if you ever need to switch providers as their service crosses from one provider to another.

Another option would be to take the SIM card out of your new phone, put it in your old phone and then back up the information on your old phone. Once you back up the information, put the SIM card back in your new phone and then sync it to your backed up information.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

rcschnoor wrote:

Another option would be to take the SIM card out of your new phone, put it in your old phone and then back up the information on your old phone. Once you back up the information, put the SIM card back in your new phone and then sync it to your backed up information.

The Galaxy S8 uses a nano SIM, the S5 uses a micro SIM.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Forgot to mention another option (I agree with backing up via Google rather than VzW):

Samsung Smart Switch: Transfer Contacts, Music and More I Samsung US

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

These are all great recommendations from the community, Kinkybobo. Have you been able to get the contacts transferred?

TamaraH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes