How do I stop my phone from going into drive mode?
hgcomputing
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have recently upgraded from htc droid dna to a samsung s6.  Recently I have noticed that my google maps navigator was not speaking while I was driving as well as not being notified that I was receiving calls while in the office.  I found that the 'drive mode' was coming on randomly, whether I was in the car or just sitting at home or in the office.  I have missed expected calls due to this.  I noticed that I was in 'drive' mode even though I was not in the car.  I have found several threads that talked about:

1.  going into the messenger and turning off drive mode.

a.  done but this is not permanent.  Later, drive mode come on at the unexpected times.  This is an error on part of the applications developers and should be fixed or eliminated.

b.  changed to a different messenger.  I am using verizon messenger due to the tie-in that I have between the phone and LG tablet.  This may be a drastic fix, but may be necessary due to verizon messenager developers' software errors.

2.  changing the messenger to the samsung messenger.

a.  while this has been mentioned, I have not seen any feedback as to whether this is effective or is there a problem with other companies' messengers as well?

The drive mode was intended to prevent people from using the phone or texting while driving.  Some cars now have hands-free bluetooth connections to allow talking on the phone while driving.  The 'drive mode on' prevents this functionality in my car.  I do use the Google navigator and want it to speak while giving me directions, which the 'drive mode on' stops.  If the intention of the developers is to force a certain navigator to be use, then that is a problem with the developers of the drive mode option.

I would like to know whether:

1.  a software fix for this problem from verizon on their messenger

2.  whether there would be a method/option to permanently disable the drive mode (or is the equivalent of the early days with the seat belts where the car would not start without the seat belts engaged.)

3.  whether a different messenger would not have this problem.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: samsung s6 going into drive mode, how to disable
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lets get drive mode off of autopilot. Is your Message+ application completely up to date? If you go into the menu by touching the 3 horizontal lines at the top left, is dirve mode turned on or off? Lets also take a look at the settings in this same menu. Touch settings & you will see Driving Mode. Lets touch that too. Do you see any of your paired bluetooth devices checked so that drive mode would be enabled when you connect to it? If so, uncheck them. Lets restart your phone after this & test over the next 24 hours. Please post the results here. Thanks in advance.
BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lets get drive mode off of autopilot. Is your Message+ application completely up to date? If you go into the menu by touching the 3 horizontal lines at the top left, is dirve mode turned on or off? Lets also take a look at the settings in this same menu. Touch settings & you will see Driving Mode. Lets touch that too. Do you see any of your paired bluetooth devices checked so that drive mode would be enabled when you connect to it? If so, uncheck them. Lets restart your phone after this & test over the next 24 hours. Please post the results here. Thanks in advance.
BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
hgcomputing
Enthusiast - Level 1

This works.

The additional steps were what threw me off track.

1.  going into verizon messenger, selecting the three lines to bring up the menu which shows the 'driving mode' slider from 'off' to 'on' implies that this was controlling mechanism for driving mode.

2.  the next step was on this menu to select 'settings'

3.  this brings up a line 'driving mode' which explains the driving mode.  I should have selected this item since it did not have a checkbox.  Selecting this item brings up another group of settings.

4.  In this menu of settings after selecting 'driving mode' are the items for 'paired devices' which I then unselected.

Now that I have gone through those steps, the phone does not, so far, have not gone into 'drive mode' on its own.

Thank you for this information.

i have the galaxy s10 I turn off driving mode in the messanger app and it turns itself right back on and I never left the house !!! very annoying I cannot find a cure to keep this feature OFF maybe I need to abandon the app and use somthing else !! 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the importance of managing your your device. Let's get to the bottom of this. What other steps have you taken? Have you reset your device settings? 

TabithaJ_VZW

0 Likes
Jo722

I have reset my settings and I still have the same problem, also.  Driving mode comes on when I am at home watching TV! even though driving mode is off in settings. Every time I reboot it also comes back on even if bluetooth detection setup is disabled also.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

It’s time for a new phone then!

0 Likes
Smorris54

I have the new Note 10+. I also have the Samsung Galaxy S3 watch which is connected via bluetooth. If I disable it then the watch and phone can not communicate. There needs to be a fix for this problem. I love messages plus but going into drive mode every hour on the hour after I turn it off it ridicules. Please fix this issue. Having it go to drive mode when I'm at work sitting at my desk is crazy.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good afternoon, Jo722. It's important your phone to work properly, so i understand your concern when it keeps going into driving mode. I'm here to help. What was the last change made to your phone before this began? Does this happen with a certain app?

TracyB_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We have sent you a private message in this forum. We are here to help. DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes