How to disable android system updates?
termitedew
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone know how to disable Android system updates on a Galaxy S5?  My phone works great when it is running KitKat, but when it updates to Lollipop, it overheats and the battery life is HORRIBLE.  The only solution I've found so far is to hard reset my phone back to factory settings, which is a huge pain, but it's even worse when the phone automatically updates to Lollipop again without asking.  I've had to reset my phone 4 times within the last 2 months, and I'm beginning to hate an otherwise great phone.  Please help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to disable android system updates?
Snn5
Legend

It could be the configuration of the app, could be that it doesn't check for an update until a certain time.  It could be a number of things.  I would start with the apps I had to have, that I needed first.  Then install in order of priority.  Might help narrow it down if an app is the issue.  App developers are updating their apps to work on LP, some more quickly than others and it might just be a matter of time until the right update for the problem app is installed.  Then, the problem would be solved.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

If your phone has already updated to Lollipop, even a factory reset won't erase the update. Once updated you cannot revert to Kit Kat. I'm wondering why the phone, after FDR, asks to update again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I appreciate all the troubleshooting you have done so far termitedew! Software is suppose to improve your phone functions not make it worse. I will make sure we get your phone running like it used to. When you did the master reset did reinstall all your applications again?
AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
termitedew
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I reinstalled all my applications.  The phone works great for about a week or two, then the Android system updates again and it's all downhill from there.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

When you say that the Android system updates again, do you mean the operating system updates again or apps on the phone update again?  I can't see why the OS would update again but I can see where a particular app update might render a few issues.

0 Likes
termitedew
Enthusiast - Level 2

The OS updates.  The phone came preinstalled with KitKat, so when I restore it to factory settings, the phone works fine.  But at some point it's upgrading itself back to Lollipop, which kills my battery life and makes the phone overheat.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

If you have already updated to Lollipop, the phone will not revert to Kit Kat and then re-update to Lollipop.  This is why I believe you have an incompatible or poorly written app that is causing you issues, since, with the non-removable LP update installed, and after a factory reset which wipes the phone clean back to the installed OS with no downloaded apps and stock apps installed only...you then start the app download process again to get back the apps you had before the wipe.  As those apps download and/or update, one or more of them may not have been optimized from the old dalvik runtime to the new ART (android runtime) format.

termitedew
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I must have been mistaken about the OS then.  If it IS one of the apps, why does it take a week or two after installing before it starts causing problems?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It could be the configuration of the app, could be that it doesn't check for an update until a certain time.  It could be a number of things.  I would start with the apps I had to have, that I needed first.  Then install in order of priority.  Might help narrow it down if an app is the issue.  App developers are updating their apps to work on LP, some more quickly than others and it might just be a matter of time until the right update for the problem app is installed.  Then, the problem would be solved.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

I feel you are correct on the ART issue, however Samsung has and is still sending out 5.0 update patches for the S5. They are small in size and some are listed as an "OS update" . Someone could misread the update as a new OS.