How to enter a new line or paragraph using voice recognition
JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

Does anyone know how to make the voice recognition enter new lines or paragraphs?

When I first got my phone I could simply say "enter", "new line" or "new paragraph" rather quickly and it would advance to the next line, or in the case of paragraph it would be two new lines giving a space between the paragraph.

However, in the last month or so this has stopped working. Now, when I say "enter", "new line" or "new paragraph" it will either spell out the words, or it will add a space.

It's really frustrating, making the feature almost useless because I have to keep popping out to the keyboard to hit the return key.

I'm using the voice recognition software to enter text for the applications "S.Memo" or "Google Drive Documents", on a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone with the 4.1.2 Android Version.

-=John

0 Likes
Re: How to enter a new line or paragraph using voice recognition
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi JohnRRocha,

Let's get to the bottom of this! Please advise, are you using a 3rd party application? If so, I suggest reaching out to the application developers. If not, When did the problem begin? Have you recently downloaded any new applications? I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @ VZWSupport

0 Likes
JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm using the phone's native voice recognition ability with the "S.Memo" application.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JohnRRocha, thanks for these details. I recommend that you uninstall the applications: "S.Memo" and "Google Drive Documents." Power your device off/on and then redownload them. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

You cannot unintall "S.Memo", as it appears to be part of Samsung's base OS. I can do a force stop and disable on it as well as clear the data, but I cannot uninstall it. That is simply not an option for the app. I'm not going to clear the data because that deletes all the files I've made for it.

I did a force stop on "S.Memo" and then started the app, and the problem persists.

I power cycled the phone and the problem persists.

I did uninstall and reinstall "Google Drive Document" but that did not resolve the problem either.

Also it seems silly to remove and reinstall these apps, when it's the voice recognition software that is having the problem. This problem happens if you simply use voice input. It even happens when editing the phone's contact's information.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

OK JohnRRocha. The issue appears to be specific to the relationship between the voice command and the app. Is the voice command feature working for other functions? Our control is limited with use within specific third party apps. It's possible the feature is being used or a function it wasn't designed for.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Jonathan,

It feels like you don't recognize the problem I'm facing. You are saying that I'm trying to use the voice commands to do something it cannot do.

I'm using it for text input, writing emails, or notes, or text messages. One of those necessary actions is to be able to start a new paragraph, or end the current line and start on a new line. That's just a basic grammar school necessity.

It USED to work. Now it does not.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JohnRRocha, this is an awesome feature on your device. To enter a paragraph break in your memo, you will have to say "Next Paragraph." It trust that this will work. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
andywash

To LasinaH_VZW, VZW Support

Clearly you did not read John's original post. Please read the post and respond, explaining why saying "Next Paragraph" no longer enters a paragraph break in a memo.

0 Likes
harber84

john,  I have the same problem.  sometimes it comes on and sometimes it doesn't.  I have a Galaxy SIII, and mostly try to use it with the native sms message app that comes with the phone.

0 Likes