How to get "OK Google" to unlock an S8+ more than a few times?
Dave-d

Hello,

I am an S7 owner and am looking for a new phone because "OK Google" only seems to work sporadically on the phone even when I am in the same setting that I was in when I first trained the voice model.  Sometimes the phone will unlock with the command, other times it will not.

I'm on my second day using an S8+ and I'm planning on returning it for one reason.  The "OK Google" detection does not work very often to unlock the phone.  It has worked two or three times out of hundreds of attempts.  After the phone is unlocked it works quite well, so I don't think it's the voice model that is causing a problem, however, there have been several times when a notification message appeared while the phone was locked after it heard me say "OK Google." 

If I cannot get this resolved in the next week or so I plan to exchange the phone for a Google Pixel.  The store reps spoke down about the pixel and really pushed the S8 on me but between the broken voice recognition and the finger print scanner being in a ridiculously difficult position for me to reach, the Pixel is looking like it might be the better choice for me - simply because it will be easier to unlock.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: How to get "OK Google" to unlock an S8+ more than a few times?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ddan79, we definitely want to make sure that you're 100% comfortable with your new phone. We understand how important it is to be able to unlock your device with ease. Upon further review, we've found that you can send feedback regarding "OK Google" to "apps-help@google.com".

Just to make sure we're covering all our bases, can you tell us if you're experiencing any other trouble with Ok Google or any voice activated services?

SamanthaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Dave-d

Other voice related services, including OK Google after the phone is unlocked, work fine. I had similar problems with my S7 and S Voice. The only solution I found was rooting the phone.

I'm experiencing prolonged hand pain from reaching for the fingerprint sensor.  I'm thinking the pixel may be physically safer for me. The curved screen is comfortable to hold but after one weekend of use I'm in serious pain! 

I also feel like Bixby is the office paperclip reinvented. It'd do annoying and ever present. I don't even use it (won't share my contacts with it) but the OS is trying far too hard to push me into it. 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm glad to hear everything else is working properly with the device, ddan79. We will certainly submit your feedback as well on the issues you are experiencing with your device. Were you able to provide this feedback using the email address we provided you?

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thank in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes