Intermittent failure to receive calls
ElOsoBlanco
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello everyone, this is my first time here, and I figured this would be a good place to discuss my issue I am having with my Galaxy s3. My dad has gotten quite mad at me several times over the last week or so because he just had surgery and we use our phones as a means of communicating overnight. He has said that he has tried calling me several times to get a hold of me to help me with something, only to find in my call history that there were no calls received/missed at the times he claimed. However, I can go and look at his IPhone 4 and see where indeed he did call, he says when this happens it goes straight to my voicemail without ringing at all. I check my signal status, and I do usually have a signal, albeit a rather weak one at 2 "bars". His also has a weak signal , but yet he can receive calls just fine. I do not understand what the issue is.

I bought this phone about 3 weeks ago at full retail price due to not having insurance, my previous phone, the droid razr had to be replaced because it was typing erratically, and would input characters on the opposite side of where I was actually typing. Being a brand new phone, this s3 should not be giving me this problem. I've tried restarting it, taking the sim out snd putting it back in, taking the battery out and putting it back in, but to no avail. It is still not registering any calls, when in fact my father's iPhone 4 shows placed calls at the times my dad says he has made them. This is not a constant issue, but it is a frequent issue, it seems to happen more often of the mornings than it does the rest of the day. I called Verizon tech support, and they said they were going to send me a new SIM card to see if that will rectify the issue, and if it doesn't, they will replace my device.

Also of note, the tech rep noticed that my phone was constantly going back and forth between a 3G to 4g lte signal, often times as little as 1 bar, with occasional spikes to 3 bars. Tech rep checked my coverage area and says I'm in an area that should be well covered by their 4g lte network, and had no explanation as to why I am having such network instability. It sucks paying $650 for a new phone, only for it to give me these kinds of problems. Of note, my droid razr also had issues with network stability as well, often jumping back and forth between no, or weak network signal, to 3G to 4g, and vice versa. Sometimes it would go all the way from a 4g signal to no signal at all briefly, and then to 1 bar, and eventually an average of 2 bars with the occasional spike to 3 bars. Could it be an issue with my SIM card that is the root of my issues? Or do I happen to be in a "fringe zone" where I'll eithe get signal at times, no signal at times, or weak signal at times. This is quite a frustrating issue, and I will mention again that my father's iPhone 4 does not seem to suffer from these issues like my recently purchased galaxy s3 does.. If his iPhone 4 is making and receiving calls, then I should be able to have the same stability on my s3. I have began to wonder if I should have got an iPhone instead.......

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent failure to receive calls
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the voicemail notification occur on your phone when he calls? Does calling your number from his phone ever ring on your phone?

I would check his contact on your phone to verify it isn't setup to go straight to voicemail.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ElOsoBlanco
Enthusiast - Level 2

He says when it does that, it goes straight to my voicemail. I never hear it ring, feel it vibrate, or nothing. I'll check my call history on my phone and it will show no recieved or missed calls at the times he says he calls. It almost always does this of the mornings, but even when it does manage to go through the signal is extremely poor and he cuts in and out pretty badly, even though I am in an area that should be well covered according to the coverage map and speaking with the tech rep. And of course as I said the signal type and strength are quite unstable; as it will frequently go from 0 or 1 bars of signal, to a maximum of 3, but it doesnt stay strong for more than just a few seconds before it drops back down to weak or no signal.

It also likes to constantly jump back and forth from 3G to 4GLTE, though that part I believe has more to do with the data coverage than it does voice and call coverage. My dad's iphone4 will call and recieve just fine, whereas I have to step outside the house to get any decent call reception.

0 Likes
ElOsoBlanco
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think taking a hammer to the phone and paying the expensive $350 early termination fee would be the best solution to the problem.