Internet connection is Unstable...???
Nomadicus

Today makes the third day I have had My new Samsung Galaxy S4. I upgraded from An S3, and I absolutely love these devices - but whatever you do, DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE GALAXY S4. Sadly, I will be returning this one and going with something, ANYTHING that doesn't use Android 4.3, 4.4, whatever. You will absolutely regret getting this device - unless you never use Wifi. The OS parameters that determine a Wifi internet connection is unstable is entirely too sensitive. It keeps giving me the message "Your internet connection is unstable", and I have no data unless I use the mobile network. It connects to the Wifi no problem - it just refuses to use it. Never had this problem with my S3, and no one else here has any problems with their devices. A quick Google search under 'internet connection is unstable" reveals a torrent of unsatisfied consumers, and no one - manufacterer, programmer, or carrier service provider - will even admit that the problem exists. ALL OF THEM reported not having received any complaints about this issue - despite finding it specified in forums on their own websites!! I have been in contact with Samsung customer support, and despite the torrent of discontent readily apparent on the internet, they would not even acknowledge the issue! The attempted "fixes" I was encouraged to try were the exact same unsuccessful efforts described by other unsatisfied customers. Everyone is playing dumb, like a sad shell game where the consumer is going to be left holding the bag. And by bag, I mean a service contract you're trapped in for two years and a device that will not operate. Will there be an update to resolve the issue? A "fix" in the immediate future? Will Android ever admit that the software needs to be revamped? I would love to think so, because I think these are the most incredible devices - but nothing in my dealings with the industry thus far inspires any confidence in such a resolution, and I personally am not willing to gamble on a "maybe they will resolve it, maybe they won't". I will be exchanging this device before my grace period for a new one expires. If anyone knows something that I don't, I would love to be wrong about this, because, as I said - these are truly great devices.

0 Likes
Re: Internet connection is Unstable...???
ClarkKent62

Go to settings, wifi, click menu (lower left soft button), advanced, and uncheck "Auto network switch". I believe they added this in to make people think their wifi is unstable and then they will use more network data instead of wifi. Should solve the problem. This was added to the last phone update and it happened on both my phone and my sons' S4 and once I figured it out, it has been fine on wifi ever since. Just another scam by verizon to make more data money.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Give the htc ONE M8 a Try.. I like mine Good Battery Life, Great Looking Screen Gorilla G #3, Great Camera for Taking Pictures have a Look at my Picture I took)  look for..  A picture I took with my htc ONE (M8)

0 Likes
BigRedGonzo
Contributor - Level 1

Nomadicus,

The solution that ClarkKent62 provided worked fine for me also.  That particular "feature" was added to supposedly make sure that users always had a good internet connection.  As stated above also, it appears as though to be more suited to make sure you expend a maximum quantity of data on the Carrier's Network.  That being said, since I turned off the "Auto Network Switch" setting, I haven't had the "Unstable Network" issue.  The WiFi that I use during the day is spotty at best and I was always having it switch back to data, but after changing that setting I haven't had the first issue.  Remember the target audience for the S4 was business.  That is why some of the bloatware installed isn't something that an individual would ever use and in a business situation, the auto switch would be more desirable than a poor connection.

BigRedGonzo

0 Likes
Nomadicus

Thanks for the advice, but that's not the issue. That was the first thing I checked, and the "Auto Network Switch" was never activated. I even turned it on and off a few times.

0 Likes
Nomadicus

The "Auto Network Switch" was never on, but thanks for the help.

0 Likes