Is the overheat threshold set lower on the Kitkat update for the s4?
Cheesedoodle
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use my phone in the car for both navigation and as a dashcam.  Prior to the kitkat update i ran the phone like this for an hour+ at a time with no overheat warnings.  The phone would get warm but it never shut apps down or warned of overheating.  Now after 5 minutes it says it is overheating and starts closing apps and the phone feels warm but not hot to the touch. This feels like a glitch to me unless the set the heat threshold much lower than in other versions.

Re: Is the overheat threshold set lower on the Kitkat update for the s4?
frankx99

Same problem. Got the phone replaced under warranty but still facing the same issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Cheesedoodle
I'm sorry your having issues when using the device. It may be an app is causing this issue. Please power the device in Safe Mode and retest. Here's how:http://vz.to/10y4OQC

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
profosu
Enthusiast - Level 1

this is a problem with that goes beyond an app. Other people are having the same problem. I have the same problem. And I have seen the complaint already showing other places since the KitKat update. The problem is with the update. Verizon and Samson need to solve it.

0 Likes
Now_is_the_time
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently experienced the same problem about 3 days ago it started. I have not downloaded any new apps. I think the heart sensitivity has recently been changed.

0 Likes
Daverawks
Enthusiast - Level 3

This issue has been SO frustrating. No help ANYWHERE. Why would Samsung want to hijack my phone and render it useless? I have NO control on bypassing the automatic shutdown function. No help from VZW, Samsung or even tech people. I now HATE this phone! VZW will probably do the same routine and tell me to check my device for running apps instead of looking at the kitkat update...err...virus. I know that it's not the fault of VZW cuz they didn't force the uppdate, it's Samsung. Never again will I purchase one of their products.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

I have the same phone as you and also installed the KitKat update. I have no problems, in fact the phone works better than when it was on JB. I almost have a stock phone though, only 5 apps loaded on.  Your phone might have worked well on JB but sometimes when a new OS update is applied to all those apps that have been downloaded, one or more of them is in conflict with KK.

The absolute best way to update the OS on a smart phone is to do a factory reset prior to installing the update. A lot of people don't like resetting up their phones as they have never had to before but smart phones have gotten quite complicated in the past couple of years and features on the phone are easily derailed if there is software conflicts.  Resetting up a phone is a lot easier than chasing problems.

0 Likes
cbingel

Except that a factory reset doesn't fix the issue.  After the 4.4.2 update, the first thing I did was reset the phone.  Like the OP, I also use my phone as a dashcam, GPS, and music player through BT to my car's stereo.  Prior to the 4.4.2 update, I could use all of these apps on my 1+ hour commute without a problem. But after, and even with a factory reset, if I run GPS, I can't do anything else, or the phone overheats and shuts everything down.  If I don't run GPS, I can run everything else, and I'll get the overheat warning, but nothing shuts down.

I've also experienced abysmal battery life since the 4.4.2 update.  I recently discovered that removing the SIM card drastically improved the battery life.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Agree that a factory reset after the install is not always a fix for all, but I was talking about was doing the factory reset prior to installation of the update.  By doing this you will be getting a cleaner install with less after update problems.

0 Likes