Re: LOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH RECENT UPDATE
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

CoolGeorge wrote:

When a device works worse after an OS software update than it did before the update, then the update was a failure.  The people who coded and tested the software totally failed to do their job and the release should never have been made.  To pass the buck off to the third party app writers is also a total abdication of responsibility.  All the "Play Store" apps are theoretically proven to play nicely with the operating system.  A soft reset should be all that is required to resolve any conflicts/residual garbage left over between  an app and the OS.  A software reset should also validate and reload all settings that have been entered to the OS.  Any thing else that requires a hard reset is just plain shoddy programming that is failing to deal with and trap error conditions.  Since Verizon is the company that has contracted with me to provide me with a phone that works "as advertised" then Verizon must bear the responsibility to fix it regardless of who is to blame(Android, Samsung, or Verizon).  We as users did not contract to accept bugs that make our devices work worse than they did when we purchased them. 

l, as a user have spent hundreds of hours of my time customizing and adding features(apps) to my device to get it to work like I want it to.  All of this was done within the bounds of the contract I signed.  Don't ask me to reset/redo all this unless you are going to guarantee that it is going to work.

COME ON VERIZON.  Step up to the plate and admit that you screwed up.  Acknowledge that this update was a disaster and either give us a speedy time table for fixing it or find us a way to revert to a "pre-update" state without having to do a factory reset. 

Not all applications in the Play Store work well on the Jelly Bean version of android OS. Some haven't been updated since Gingerbread was just released. I actually had to uninstall one of my favorite utility applications because it didn't work as well as it did on a Gingerbread device. The same app mostly worked on ICS, but it was starting to exhibit odd behavior. I currently still have that application on my Tbolt, but I will likely not reinstall it after the factory reset I'm planning on doing soon. The app was removed from my Nexus shortly after the first Jelly Bean update to 4.1.1.

When an update is tested on a device, I suspect they test it on a clean device. Meaning no other third party applications are installed and the phone is completely stock.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
CoolGeorge
Enthusiast - Level 2

All of the apps that I have installed on my S3 have been running on Jelly Bean since Verizon updated to it. None of these apps misbehaved in any way until Verizon made this latest update from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2. My major complaint is with the standard Android email client that has been running without problems on both ICS and JB. I have made no changes in the configuration since I purchased it in December. The problem is directly attributable to the changes that were made in 4.1.2.

Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 11:07 AM

To: CoolGeorge

Subject: - Re: LOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH RECENT UPDATE

created by Ann154 in Samsung Galaxy S III - View the full discussion

devedsmith
Enthusiast - Level 3

So text messages and "unwanted" apps are my problem? Ever since the update? Yea. I've talked to phone support and been to a store for in-person support. EVERY Verizon employee I hav interacted with has told me that it is "clearly a problem with the most recent update".

0 Likes
devedsmith
Enthusiast - Level 3

Example: While typing the above reply "Samsung keyboard stopped working" and Ihad to restart my phone AGAIN today. Yea, so text messages and unwanted apps are my problem? Wrong.

0 Likes
devedsmith
Enthusiast - Level 3

After contacting telephone support and spending an hour on the phone with them and then visiting the store where they have all confirmed that these are known problems with the most recent update, I still have lots of questions for YOU, LasinaH.

Hmm... lets see, unwanted apps... Well, I've had to move to my desktop computer because the Samsung keyboard stopped working for the second time. How do I remove that? I tried half a dozen other keyboards and - ever since the update - they all exhibit the exact same behavior. I've shown this to support - IN PERSON - because I can actually recreate the crash every time. Oh, and my phone overheats and the batter lasts about 4 hours on standby - ever since the update. How do I remove that app? Oh and - ever since the update - I can no longer add apps to my home screen. When I long-press and drag an icon from the apps list to my home screen the screens fly past from left or right regardless of my finger's position on the screen. How do I remove that app? Also, since you are being so helpful, how do I remove all of the Verizon apps that crash now - ever since the update?

So do you understand now how helpful you've been by asking me to - for some random reason - delete text messages? Yes, I suppose text messages are quite damaging to a smartphone. And when you say "once I've deleted a few apps"... I'm curious, since this advice is so precise there must be a list of apps that I should not have installed. Please share with me the names of apps that are on my phone that you recommend removing. I'm sure it's quite a long list.

Oh, and how do I "delete an unwanted call"? I assume I should be doing that during the call. Yes? Also, ever since the update, I've restarted my phone several times a day. Sometimes it just does it by itself. I assume that's a new feature that helps "improve the performance of my phone" as you suggest.

And, yes. I actually laughed out loud when I read your reply.

okamsrazor22
Contributor - Level 1

All

The Jelly Bean update to phones that came out prior to October of last year is an issue across the board. Google made major changes to how it operates and now the phone UI's and software are trying to play catch up. Unfortunately, no one has a "fix" for this. My phone was made useless by this update and I too was shocked by how many features broke or disappeared.

I wish we had been allowed to stay on ICS but VZW is required to update to the newer OS on some phone models as the manufacturer's and Google need the versions updated for various reasons. I am not saying VZW is blameless here, as ultimately they need to do QC on these updates. However, VZW is more interested in making sure the updates block features like tethering then making sure they do not brick customers phones.

gallahad
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is really a mess.

JB 4.1.1 resulted in:

Loss of notification bubbles

Dramatically reduced battery life

LOTS of dropped calls

Calendar issues

JB 4.1.2 resulted in:

Keyboard issues

Lost most of my pictures

Can't wait to see what they have in store for us next.

I'm counting the days until that damn contract is up.