Latest OS update won't recognize micro SD card
rjh171
Enthusiast - Level 2

My S5 updated to G900VVRU2BOE1 on Friday, July 10.  After the update completed, the phone would not recognize the mirco SD card.  The following notifications pop up.

• Preparing SD card - Checking for errors.
  • SD card encryption - Encrypting SD card...

I've tried a new SD card, and the new card has the same errors.  I've tried the existing card and the new card in other phones and in a card reader.  Both the existing card and the new card function in other phones and the card reader.  The problem is the existing card is encrypted so the files can only be accessed on the phone which won't recognize the SD card.  When the existing card is placed in another phone or a card reader, I can see the files, but I cannot open the files due to the encryption.  The encryption is mandated via my corporate email account, and the encryption is driven by Mobile Iron's Mobile@Work app.

I've tried to run the software repair assistant, but I get the following message and the phone will not connect to the software upgrade/repair assistant.

• Your devices's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware.

I know the last resort is to lose the information on the card and factory reset the phone.  Has anybody else experienced a similar issue and found any successful alternatives?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Latest OS update won't recognize micro SD card
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can totally understand your point of view RalphRoberts. I want to make sure that your device is up to par.

Doing a factory reset can assist your phone in many factors and most likely resolve your issues. I do know that  we download applicaitons from the Play Store which are 3rd party and they may not have the updated software and can clash with our software.Keep me updated

Doing a full reset will help clear any clitches the phone may have. I would recommend not downloading any applications for a day so you can see that your phone is working fine.

AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rjh171,

Wow! You really have done a lot that we would normally ask for you to do, so thank you for that. I am so sorry to learn that you are having these troubles with your SD card on the S5. When did you perform your last update? I know that there was another small update released designed to help with this issue. Please advise.

ErinW_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rjh171
Enthusiast - Level 2

The current software was updated to G900VVRU2BOE1 on July 10.  The SD card was used that morning.  The previous software was updated to G900VVRU1BOC4 on April 17.  The SD card functioned through that update.  The phone was purchased new in October 2014, and I added the SD card at that time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rjh171

Thanks for the additional details. Let’s get the SD card read. Can you please place your phone in safe mode to see if the card is readable http://vz.to/1GiE6ty. Also do you have access to another SD card? If so can your phone read that card? When navigating to Settings > Storage, does the device recognize the SD card here? Can you  unmount/mount the SD card from this location?

TionnaB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rjh171
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried safe mode, and I get the same results as in the original post. I have tried clearing the system cache, and same results as well. From the first post, I have tried numerous cards in this phone all with the same result as in the original post. I have tried these cards in other phones with success aside from the encryption preventing viewing of the files in the encrypted card.  When looking at storage under settings, the sd slot does not have an active "mount card" option. It is as if the sd card slot had been disabled.

0 Likes
Bdog27

I have a Galaxy Note 4 and am encountering the same issue after yesterday's software update.  I also use Mobile Iron for my corporate email and now can no longer access my sd card

0 Likes
nm74
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same problem with my S5. I put the SD card in a card reader on my computer and all the content was there.  I then put it back in the phone, started in safe-mode and the phone could read the card.  Then I restarted in regular mode and it could still read the card. Strange, but it is working now.

rjh171
Enthusiast - Level 2

nm,

Thank you for the feedback.  I've tried that approach, but it does not address my issue.  For whatever reason, it appears that the phone attempts to mount the card but does not finish the process.  I'm not sure if it is the encryption part of Mobile Iron that is preventing the process from being finished, or if it is truly a software issue that is preventing the hardware from functioning properly.

rjh171
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bdog27,

Have you tried any other actions in an attempt to get your phone to recognize the sd card?  I read an item on my company's IT webpage for corporate mobile accounts that the latest Android OS update was causing issues with phone lockouts due to some issues with encryption and password changes, but nothing on a hardware issue like this.

0 Likes
Bdog27

I will check with my IT department on Monday to see if anyone else has reported similar issues.

0 Likes