Lollipop Update Ruined My Galaxy S5
tpins1

My Samsung Galaxy S5 was only a few months old when I did a software update. My phone updated to Lollipop. First off, Wifi would not connect properly. It never maintained a solid connection. I also started having battery issues right away. My phone got so hot at times that I am surprised it did not fry itself. My battery would maybe five hours at the longest just sitting idle on my desk. I was forced to factory reset my device (which is ridiculous because there was no warning that this update would be such a significant change to my phone). I did not re download Facebook and Facebook Messenger because I heard that those apps could be the cause of the battery drain. My battery still lasts around five hours less than before Lollipop even with the factory reset (the Wifi issue seems to be fixed). All these issues for an update that doesn't do anything in my opinion except change some of the colors? Verizon doesn't seem to be addressing this issue even though it is wide spread. The only thing that this update has done for me is to help me realize that my next phone will be an Iphone. Anyone have any other solutions for the time being?

Side Note: Also, how is bloatware legal? I paid for this phone, so why does Verizon have to option to download applications without my permission and use my memory?

0 Likes
Re: Lollipop Update Ruined My Galaxy S5
Snn5
Legend

When you factory reset the phone, did you uncheck the boxes in backup and reset to prevent the restoration of app data?  If not, that could be your issue.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It sounds like a factory reset fixed 1 of the problems; Wi-Fi, but you're still having 1 other issue which is the battery drain? You could try a 3rd party power management app, just make sure you research it as it could drain your battery faster and some will cause higher data usages.

If it were me I would comb through my phone and make sure everything was turned off that I didn't need; gps location, Bluetooth, screen dimmer, wallpaper (non-active one), and also close all my apps manually, not just leave them running in the background. 

0 Likes
tpins1

I actually use less than before the phone. I had to turn location and bluetooth off after Lollipop where I was able to leave them on before the update. Do you recommend a power management system?

0 Likes
tpins1

I made sure to do that because I it seems like the applications I was using before were the cause of the battery drain according to what I read online.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Doesn't the S5 have a battery manager in it?  And, what about disabling the app data when you factory reset?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It does. It seems minimal to me, but then again I don't know what apps are out there and what other options there could be. At a quick glance it looked like grey-scale was about it.

Are you closing all the apps by selecting the "back" key (left of the main key) while on the home screen and selecting "close all"?

0 Likes
devedsmith
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh man, this is happening to me. I've done several factory resets and it still happens. The only way to get it to cool down is to put it in the freezer or turn it off. I have had some luck just turning on airplane mode. But only sometimes.

I have the battery issue and the OS is SLOW. So slow in fact that I can no longer use the phone. Dialing or typing sometimes hangs and perceives taps as long presses. Once I tap the green phone button to initiate the call it doesn't actually start ringing for about 10 seconds and then when I put the phone to my face it doesn't lock the screen so my cheek ends the call. And don't get me started about taking pictures on this crappy OS. All blurry or are pictures of the all, floor, foot, sky... none of the subject.

0 Likes
bellyroll
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did my update last Thursday after putting it off as long as I could and have had nothing but issues since. The longer I waited to do the update the less my phone worked correctly. It was forcing me to do the update. My VZ Navigator will not work at all (which I pay $5 a month for), my notifications and ringer would not work all the time and not hold any changes I would make, my email would not sync, my kindle books were wiped out and cannot reload, wifi doesn't work right, calls take a long time to connect. I called tech support and did a few different things with them and finally the woman told me to run the phone in safe mode. I have been since that and the navigator works great and my wifi and calls seem to be ok.  Bring up the screen to power off the phone and press and hold power off. It will ask if you want to run the phone in safe mode then hit yes. All the apps will not necessarily work perfectly but the phone itself runs normal for most functions. The tech said that running the phone in safe mode is ok and all it does is stop the background app from running. I'm not sure what it does really, but text, phone, email, camera, back up, navigation, etc works now.  I am looking into an iPhone because I am fed up with droids. Everyone I have had winds up not working for one reason or another.

Snn5
Legend

And, for all the problems you list, I'm just asking why you pay $5 a month for navigation and then pay the data use on top of it when you can use Google Maps for free or use Nokia Here Maps for free and NO data use.

0 Likes