Lost photos due to a factory reset Samsung A50
eljefe81
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Galaxy A50 started losing network connection yesterday, and I had to restart it to reset it and regain network connection.  This happened several times.  Last night when I restarted the phone it went in to factory reset and wiped all pictures.  Is there any way to get these back?  From what I can see, if the phone was able to be rooted, data recovery could be done, but apparently it's difficult to root this phone with the latest Android update.  And unfortunately the photos did not back up to Cloud or Google Photos.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Lost photos due to a factory reset Samsung A50
eljefe81
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you tell me why it would factory reset without prompting me with "do you want to back up files" or even "you are about to do a factory reset"?  That does not seem like a very customer friendly feature.  Also, why when I have to tie everything to Google would it not automatically be set up to back up photos?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Eljefer81, thanks for reaching out to us today. Sorry to learn about the recent issues that you've had with your cell phone. If there was a factory reset done to the phone before a back up was done, we would not be able to get any unsaved items back on the phone. The device would need to be backed up by a cloud service or Google Photos. 

0 Likes
eljefe81
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you tell me why it would factory reset without prompting me with "do you want to back up files" or even "you are about to do a factory reset"?  That does not seem like a very customer friendly feature.  Also, why when I have to tie everything to Google would it not automatically be set up to back up photos?

0 Likes
eljefe81
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Eljefe81, as a parent of 3, I know just how irreplaceable those images are and I am truly sorry to hear that this has happened to you. You mentioned that the phone had been experiencing issues prior to the factory reset. When a phone is not acting properly or something is installed that is not working well with the manufacturer software, a phone may default to this restore to protect itself from no longer functioning at all. If the phone physically did this restore without you manually requesting it, the phone was trying to protect itself. If you use Google Photos to store you pictures, within the actual application there are options for when or how to back up. In many cases, applications will only back up when connected with Wi-Fi. To check your settings, please go to Google Photos, tap the lines to the top left and then choose Settings, Backup & Sync to review which options are selected for your phone.  LorenB_VZW If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes