Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lots of dropped calls.
BRAWIL17

I live in a rural area in Oregon.  Reception is usually quite poor.  It was fairly good when I first got Verizon (before 4G or LTE) but now is usually poor to nothing.  I now have wifi calling but it drops calls about half the time.  It seems to find a signal then drop off wifi then lose the call.  Sometimes I try to make a call and it will connect then drop within a few seconds.  it does the same with incoming calls.  At times the phone is useless. 

This happens on my phone as well as my wife's phone.  The wifi and Internet are fine.  It used work reasonably well on Airplane Mode with the wifi turned back on, but that no longer works.

I have been with Verizon over 10 years, but I need this to work.  It has not worked well in a long time.  I have called tech support several time but nothing has changed. Can this be fixed?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Lots of dropped calls.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We want you to have the coverage you need. Can we have the ZIP Code you are having trouble in? Do you know if anyone else in the area has these difficulties?

LauraL_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
BRAWIL17

The Zip code is 97013.  The coverage in the zip code is generally good, however in the rural neighborhood I am in it is awful.  The neighbors say the same.  WIFI calling is fine when it works, but it usually does not hand off fast enough and the call is dropped.  Often I cannot get a call to finish.  It connects then within a few seconds it drops.  When I first got Verizon it was fine.  Not super strong, but we rarely lost calls.  In the past I have used a Wilson amplifier and it did help.  Now it often does not get enough signal to do any good.  Our signal goes from weak but useable to no signal at all.

Brad [Removed]

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Having a reliable service is important for me as well. I know how much of a hassle this is for you and the other people in the area. We would need to review this in more detail. I will send a private message to you so that we can review your area more in detail. Also, please note that you should not post any personal contact information or addresses in future posts. Thank you!

JasperM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CraigLK

Same issues here.  Dropped calls on numerous different WiFi networks, several different phones.  Been going on for the past year and is 100% repeatable.  What seems to happen is the following:

-Call connects on VZW-WiFi (cellular signal inside home or office is low, maybe 1-2 bars)

-When the cellular signal strength goes to two bars or more, it seems that Verizon wants to drop the WiFi connection and connect over regular cellular

-It seems there is absolutely no hand-off from WiFi to Cellular protocol whatsoever

The calls always drop.  This behavior can be reproduced 100% of the time.  I can start a call in my house or office on VZW-WiFi, go outside and start walking away.  100% of the time when I go outside of WiFi range, the calls drop even though I may be a 3+ bars for cellular strength.  There is no hand-off.

This problem is really annoying because the signal inside my home or office is low so the WiFi calling is very helpful.  However if I move around, or the signal fluctuates back up to 2 bars, the WiFi drops and the call does not pick up on cellular.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We appreciate the details. Does restarting your Wi-Fi router help at all? Have you reset the network settings on your device?

EstebanP_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
CraigLK

Thank you for your reply Esteban.

The WiFi router has been restarted / reset many, many times - problem continues exactly as stated.

We have purchased a new router during the past year - problem continues exactly as stated.

We have have upgraded to new cell phones - problem continues exactly as stated.

Problem happens on new cell phones or old cell phones.  iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, iOS 10, iOS 11.

Problem happens handing off from WiFi to cellular whether from my home WiFi, office WiFi, or the WiFi from a hotel room.

Problem happens no matter if LTE is enabled for data only, LTE is off completely, or LTE is enabled for voice & data.

As soon as the Verizon cell signal gets around 2 bars, it seems that the protocol is to drop the VZW-WiFi connection and try to connect to Verizon cellular.  But the handoff never happens.  The calls just drop.

The problem is consistent among all our devices, all firmware versions, all WiFi networks, and all locations that I have experienced.  The problem can be duplicated 100% of the time from any network.

0 Likes
BRAWIL17

I think the reply CraikLK wrote is worth paying attention to.  While I would like great coverage, I realize I live in a rural area and will most likely always have a less than a perfect signal.  I have talked to the neighbors and the only one who has decent service has Sprint.  That would be my last choice for lots of reasons.  Any way I am not sure why the signal has degraded over the years, but if wifi calling would work well there would not be a problem.  I have strong wifi that goes almost to the back of my property.  Generally the coverage in my part of the world is good to excellent, but there are a few holes.  I live in one.

If Verizon would ad a setting that allowed wifi calling as a priority instead of a last ditch effort to keep a call the problem would most likely go away.  Also I agree with CraigLK.  There is a problem with the handoff from wifi to cell signal and back to wifi.  If that worked properly, most likely we would not be having this conversation.

Thanks for your response.

0 Likes
JUDNIL40

ME TOO. I was directed to add WiFi calling did it. Factory reset 4 times. I will drop verision in a heart beat if I could.

I was told it was due to all the unlimited data plans and not being able to cover it.

Also my husband phone which is a flip version does this too.

right now I have 3 bars when 6 months ago I had 4 or 5.

WHAT'S GOING ON???

0 Likes