MMS Texting Issues
smhughes03
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am so very very tired of this problem and waiting for Verizon to fix it.  This has been an ongoing problem for many many years, and its ridiculous.  This has occurred in the last 3-4 phones I have had, I believe S7 though, now, brand new S10e

If too many MMS messages get sent (and received??), either group or picture, in some unknown amount of time, I appear to go in to time out and can’t send or receive anything.  It lasts for about 15-20 minutes then I get flooded with every MMS I didn’t receive, and if I had been trying to send something it finally sends.  Ironically enough, if I miss too much, and get bombarded, I go right back in to timeout, that has only happened a few times

I have no clue how many messages it is, or within what time that unknown number of messages is.

It is like there is some limit on how much and how often they can be sent.  The messages just queue up and nothing goes.  Reboot phone, no help. Airplane mode briefly, no help, turn off WiFi, no help, change SMS apps, no help, including Messages, Messages+, and Textra to name a few.  During the timeout period, none of them work and nothing can be done to resolve it but wait.  Multiple groups, multiple people, all different carriers, some Verizon, some not, iPhones as recipients, assume some Samsung

This is literally a brand new phone, and it did the same thing as all the rest did.

Verizon, please go ahead with your canned responses telling me how important it is to get fixed and shouldn't be happening, and ask whatever questions you need.

Here are two other Verizon threads I found, with the exact same issue, which have now been closed without resolution

https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S-Series/MMS-broken-again-Galaxy-S8/td-p/102...

https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-Note/Group-Text-Issues/td-p/1075442

Labels (1)
Re: MMS Texting Issues
Alundil1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've run into this problem too many times to count. Previously multiple times on my Galaxy S7 Edge. Multiple times on my Galaxy S10 and again all day today. This was a particularly bad issue as I was in the middle of an actual work-related outage scenario and forced to rely on text messaging multiple groups of multiple people. Let's just say that the service was unreliable, at best, today.

Probably a dozen times between 12 pm and 10pm I would lose all ability to send or receive in group messages. Then after 15 minutes or more, all of them would come streaming in. Only to wind up in the same scenario again 30 minutes later. fudging unbelievable. It's not a new problem, just particularly egregious today. And I've been reading up on it quite a bit this evening since I've hit the level of peak frustration and now find that it's been going on, UNRESOLVED, for literally years is shameful. This has me ready to walk away from Verizon completely. None of my other coworkers are in the same metro area have this issue. They're all on different carriers. I'm certain someone would willingly accept a customer (with longstanding loyalty - though that sounds foolish now) representing at least 6 lines.

I've taken multiple screen shots to document just how ridiculous this is as a service (to say nothing of the fact that it's the priciest service on available in the US. Bordering on unforgivable.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want you to miss any message. We definitely want to get to the bottom of this ASAP! We will be sending you a Private Note, so we can further assist you.  MoniqueH_VZW

0 Likes
LOTTAVIANO
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issues: In group messages my texts arrive anywhere from a few seconds (ideal) to 90 minutes later (not ideal), with multiple "MMS Timeout" errors in the meantime. The resulting group conversation is out of order and incoherent. Also, when photos are texted I generally don't get them for a half hour or more (if I get them at all). Some are just lost in the ether never to be received. I never know what I am missing until someone asks me about it later.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LOTTAVIANO

We never want you to miss any of your messages. I personally keep in touch with everyone through messaging myself, so I understand the importance of getting this problem fixed right away. I can take a closer look at the area and resolve this messaging issue for you. What messaging application are you using? Have you tried using a different messaging application? Are you using cellular data or Wi-Fi when the issue is the worst?

0 Likes
thereelaristotle
Enthusiast - Level 1

This happens to me ALL THE TIME, if I send too many MMS in a row...think like 6 in 30 seconds or so.... I'll basically get blocked from MMS for 10+ minutes.  It is awful.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want you having this issue and will turn this around.  When  did this first start?  What device and messaging app are you using?

-Sean

0 Likes
Eaims1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same.  It's been going on for years with me too, multiple Android phones (doesn't happen to my wife's iPhone), multiple texting services, etc etc.  All the same mms "time out" issues.  And what is really lame is looking through the other threads shows it's not going to get fixed since some of those threads are over 5 years old.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Multiple Android phones and multiple texting services would drive me crazy too. I imagine an attempt, as linked below, to clear both the messaging app cache and messaging app data has been tried. If not, then the steps are below.

What is the current make and model of the phone this is occuring on now? 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077611/

-David

0 Likes
Eaims1
Enthusiast - Level 2

And to answer all the questions: 

it's been happening for several years

it happens on multiple messaging apps that go through the VZ network (messages, messages+, vz messages) but it doesn't happen with wi-fi only networks like telegram and whatsapp

it's been happening across multiple phones: samsung, motorola

it happens with any group:  I'm in several different texting groups all with different phone numbers and providers

it does not happen with my wife's iPhone

it happens in both Wifi and Data only, and it also happens when airplane mode is enabled

0 Likes