MMS broken again, Galaxy S8+
dagactor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Earlier this year MMS would get overloaded after a few messages back and forth and stop working. I tried everything possible to fix it, nothing really worked...it finally improved and was good for months and now it's not working again. Frustrating. Anyone else? Any ideas what's causing this?

0 Likes
Re: MMS broken again, Galaxy S8+
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dagactor, we want those messages going smoothly again. Let's get to the bottom of this. Which messaging app are you using? Any issues with calls or data? Do you find this happens when connected to Wi-Fi?

LorenB_VZW

Follow us TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response registry . This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dagactor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Currently using Textra. Their support team says this is a Verizon issue. No calls or data issues and it happens both on and off wifi. It happens when a group text goes on for a while then suddenly locks up. THANK YOU!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate those details dagactor. Let's continue working towards a resolution. Can you clarify what you mean by the text locks up? Do you experience the same issue if you use the default messaging app on your phone?

Verizon_Customer_Support

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response registry. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dagactor
Enthusiast - Level 2

By locked up, I mean I stop receiving all MMS messages and any that I try to send time out. This only seems to happen when I'm in a group conversation and a lot of messages are going back and forth at once. Last time it happened I switched to the messages+ app and continued to have the same issue. Earlier this year when it was happening I switched to Messages+ full time and the problem went away. After two weeks I went back to Textra and haven't had a problem for months until now. Textra insists it's a Verizon issue though.

dagactor
Enthusiast - Level 2

FYI, here is the message from Texta's community that addresses the issue:

In summary it's an Android 7.0 bug. How do we know this? We actually found the 4 lines of Android source code that *fixed* this issue in a later patch version of Android 7.0.

In our testing on the Verizon network, we saw the issue 100% with all SMS/MMS apps (we tried the top 5 apps from Google Play), as well as Google's Android Messages and the pre-installed Messages and Verizon Message+ apps.

It's fairly easy to reproduce the issue, switch to the pre-installed Messages app, ask a friend to send you a rapid succession of group chats (MMS), and boom it 'locks up' and no MMS messages will be received (you'll just see the download icon in the bubbles, spinning for about 20 minutes). During this time you won't be able to send MMS either. Android seems to restart the culprit 'network process' after approx 15-20 minutes and then the messages will flow again.

The only 'real fix' is a firmware upgrade (controlled by your mobile carrier). Please understand this is not a Textra specific issue.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Samsung would need to update their code with the fix and issue updates to the affected devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
dagactor, It would be very challenging to have your MMS communications freeze up. Please reply to the Private Message that I sent, so we can explore more options.

JoelR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
whitmayo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm also having the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S7. It happens exactly like the message degactor posted from the Textra community. In group chats, if I start getting texts in rapid succession it "locks up". The messages just show the download icon in the bubbles but then keep spinning if I attempt to download. The only work-around is to put my phone in airplane mode for a few seconds. After I'm able to download the messages if I'm using the pre-installed Samsung Messages. I have tried this with many different messaging apps and it happens on every one. Some I've tried: Android Messages, pre-installed Samsung Messages, Verizon Message+, Textra, Handcent Next SMS, Pulse, Evolve SMS, and Facebook Messenger.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Whitmayo, you have taken great steps to narrow down this issue. Receiving your messages is absolutely something that we want for all customers. With Wi-Fi off and cellular data on, do you still see this issue?

Verizon_Customer_Support

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response registry. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes