Re: MMS broken again, Galaxy S8+
whitmayo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I do still have the issue with wifi off and cellular data on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

whitmayo,

We want nothing more than for your messages to work for you. What software version do you currently have installed on your S7? When using the native Samsung Messages app with your phone in Safe Mode http://vz.to/2bU7J1j , does the same thing happen?

ShawnteJ_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
whitmayo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have Android 7.0 and am up to date on all security patches. I can provide a screenshot of all the "about phone" info if needed. I haven't tried seeing if it happens in safe mode yet. I can't usually guess when I'm going to get group messages in quick succession so it will lock up but I'll try to set something up and see if it changes. I did also do a factory reset a couple days ago but noticed it still happens.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the helpful details whitmayo. Let's help you figure this out. I know you stated that you are up to date, however since the G955USQU1AQK3 update jus launced last week (11/14/2017), I want to make sure you are up to date (Settings > About Phone > Baseband version). Please also keep us posted if it happens during Safe Mode.

RyanC_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
whitmayo
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Baseband version I have is G930VVRU4BQK2. I've checked for updates and

my phone is saying it's up to date.

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 3:30 PM, vzw_customer_support <

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Awesome whitemayo. That seems to be up to date. Thanks for checking. Let's continue with our trouble-shooting efforts. I want you to reset your network settings. Here is a link to perform that step http://vz.to/2ew3hI1 .Let me know if you still have issues after performing this step. We truly want to make sure this is resolved.

KinquanaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BNaCl
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the same issue which started out sporadic, but has now become so frequent that Textra is unusable. The post on the Textra site says this is an Android issue and is reproducible in other texting apps (including stock). However, I have NOT had the problem in other apps. I can reproduce very easily in Textra but cannot reproduce at all in the other apps. I have tried everything to no avail and as a last ditch effort I deleted ALL messages and started from a clean slate. My thought is perhaps the database is jacked after switching between so many apps or perhaps the size alone was a problem. Sure enough, I haven't had the lockup at all since starting clean. I will say I haven't been running it long enough to say for sure, but I almost always would have seen the issue by now. Can anyone else give this a try and post back here?

ANNEVE70
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has this problem been fixed??? I have searched and searched and I can't find anything.  I have the EXACT situation.  Phone locks up for 15mins using group chat MMS.  Textra has sent me the exact same thing!  This happened on my Galaxy 7, and now again on my Galaxy S8+.

Please tell me there is a fix!!!

In summary it's an Android 7.0 bug. How do we know this? We actually found the 4 lines of Android source code that *fixed* this issue in a later patch version of Android 7.0.

In our testing on the Verizon network, we saw the issue 100% with all SMS/MMS apps (we tried the top 5 apps from Google Play), as well as Google's Android Messages and the pre-installed Messages and Verizon Message+ apps.

It's fairly easy to reproduce the issue, switch to the pre-installed Messages app, ask a friend to send you a rapid succession of group chats (MMS), and boom it 'locks up' and no MMS messages will be received (you'll just see the download icon in the bubbles, spinning for about 20 minutes). During this time you won't be able to send MMS either. Android seems to restart the culprit 'network process' after approx 15-20 minutes and then the messages will flow again.

The only 'real fix' is a firmware upgrade (controlled by your mobile carrier). Please understand this is not a Textra specific issue.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Anneve70, I can understand how it's essential to be able to send and receive group messages without any issues or without the applications freezing up. I appreciate all the steps that you've completed on your own to test out other apps. Can you please test your device out in Safe Mode to see if the issue still happens. Check out this link for the steps to place the phone in Safe Mode. http://spr.ly/6585DXT7J.

KevinR_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
TheCheat54
Enthusiast - Level 2

For what it's worth, this issue still exists in the Android 8.0 version through Verizon on the Galaxy S9. Both the built-in messaging and Textra apps eventually lock up my MMS for 15-20 minutes as described here.

Verizon, this is clearly your problem if the issue was fixed in a patch for Android 7.0 but the 8.0 release you've allowed for the S9 still exhibits the issue.