Message+ GIFs will not work on wifi, but fine on cell network
Peruna

I have a crazy problem...

When I am texting using Message+, GIFs will not work when I'm on wifi.  It's not just my wifi -- it has done this on someone else's wifi as well.  The rest of my phone works fine on wifi -- I can stream videos, load web pages, etc..., so it's not a speed thing or a bad connection.  

When I am texting using Message+, if I am using the Samsung Keyboard or the Microsoft Swift keyboard and select GIF the GIFs will never load.  It just sits there indefinitely.  But if I switch to the cell network, GIFs to select from load just fine.  This is a really bizarre problem to have.  I never had anything like this on my S10.  

This is a new Samsung S22 that gave me absolute fits in transferring my text messages over.  Only parts of message streams would transfer -- not chronologically, just in a swiss cheese fashion throughout the stream.  I finally got one transfer which was probably equally bad, but it achieved my main goal in finally getting my dad's last texts to me before he passed to transfer.  SO, I do NOT want to try changing message programs in order to debug this.  I really don't want to risk messing that up again since I no longer have the old phone and can't re-transfer.

#Message+  Samsung Galaxy S22 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Message+ GIFs will not work on wifi, but fine on cell network
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Peruna and thank you for messaging us for support. I understand the importance of saving old messages and ensuring your messaging is working as expected at all times. I'm happy to hear that your messages work through cellular data! If working through cellular but not Wi-Fi, this isolates the issue to the Wi-Fi connection(s) you are using. Are you able to run a speed test while connected to Wi-Fi and send a screenshot of the results? 

*Cheyenne

0 Likes
Peruna

Hi Cheyenne,

I think you may have misread my post.  My messaging itself works fine on wifi and I can also send MMS items like large photos and small videos.   I can send larger videos to someone else on Verizon.  All this with no problem.  

It is SPECIFICALLY only loading the GIFs to choose from when you select to send a GIF along with your message.   I also have no issue loading things much larger than GIFs and using them on my phone.  I have tested streaming video from several sources with airplane mode on and wifi turned on so that I am sure I'm not using the cellular system, and that works just fine.  There is no speed problem with the wifi.  I have just run speed checks on two networks that I have access to right now and will attach them, but there is at least one other wifi that I have also tested this on.Screenshot_20221103_105146_Speedtest.jpgScreenshot_20221103_105201_Speedtest.jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you very much, Peruna! I am happy to hear that you are able to send GIFs through cellular data, and would be happy to help with general troubleshooting for not being able to send through Wi-Fi. What happens when trying to attach a GIF to a message through Wi-Fi? 

*Cheyenne

0 Likes
Dgibson8890

Hey did you ever get the issue fixed? I have the same issue with my new Samsung s22 ultra. I have to turn off wifi for them to load and turn it back on for them to send.  Happens no matter the wifi network. Extremely frustrating 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are here to help. To better assist you, tell us a little more. What is the app you are using for texting? Do you have the latest version for that app? Is your device software up to date?

~Maria

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, we're just checking in to see if we can still be of assistance. 

-Melissa

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Dgibson8890, I'm just checking in to see if you still need assistance with your concern. If you do, please provide additional details so we can best assist. 

-Lauren

0 Likes
Dgibson8890

Hi,

Yes I'm still having the issue. Both my phone and the app are up to date. I use the messages app with the white background and blue bubble

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello! We'd like to find the root cause of the issue. I will be sending you a Private Note, please reply to it as soon as you receive it.

~Maria

0 Likes