Message blocking
billjohnson121

Several times a day, I am getting Spam text messages. Dr Oz recommends..., Improve your love life..., claim your lottery prize, etc.

I do not open the message, but if I hold my finger on it, I can "add to contacts" which I do. As soon as I have named and saved the contact, I select "block this contact" and I see "you will no longer receive calls or messages from this number."  But I am getting messages that have the contact name I have assigned.

The blocking feature is obviously not working. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Message blocking
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

billjohnson121, we know the importance of managing spam calls. What blocking service/application are you using when this happens? What make and model phone do you have?  TanishaS_VZW

billjohnson121

I have a Samsung SM-G955U phone, hardware version REV1.0.  Android.

As far as I know, the apps I am using are the ones that were on the phone when I bought it.  Installed on my phone is Verizon Messages/Message+ version 6.9.13.  The app info page for both "phone" and "contacts" says version 10.2.30.10.  Updates have been installed automatically.

When I get the spam message, I "long-hold" my finger on the message and I can "add to contacts."  After I have added the contact and saved it, I touch the three vertical dots in the upper right corner and I get "block contact".  Then comes the message that says you will no longer receive calls or messages from this contact. 

I am still getting other spam, but I am also getting spam with the contact name I have assigned.

0 Likes
emily42

I am having this problem too, and the customer service rep said that there's nothing they can do because I'm on prepaid. But when I asked if they could do anything about it if I got on post paid, they said they couldn't guarantee they could and all they would do is block the number. But I can do that myself now, and the number changes every time. Congress passed anti-spam legislation putting the impetus to get rid of spam calls on the carrier. Obviously Verizon is not in compliance. 

0 Likes
cncarter71284

There is nothing they can do. When every single spam message comes from a completely different number. And when you try to message back, you get nothing. Everyday, new number, new area. Most of them just business. Nothing to do with the spam other than someone is using their data to spam!

0 Likes
GL2022
Enthusiast - Level 1

The numbers change all the time and there is no subscriptions to stop.  It's totally criminal for a person running for public office to use the dark web and scams to get people to click on his campaign.

Why isn't this practice by the Dr. Oz (a known huckster and snake oil salesman) subject to campaign laws?  Why do right wingers always get a pass? This is effed up.  I get five a day.  Verizon and Apple have no answers. Funny, they are so clever about monetizing every moment and square inch but they can't do anything about Dr. Oz.

0 Likes