Mobile Hotspot fails at "checking subscription status"
joealexander
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been using my Galaxy S4 mini (ok, you can stop laughing) as a mobile hotspot for a few weeks no problem. Today, all day, I try to turn on mobile hotspot and after "checking subscription status" message it returns with "Unable to connect". My data connection is fine, I can use the browser with no problem. I already opened a ticket but no help yet. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Mobile Hotspot fails at "checking subscription status"
Theunclebob
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having the same issue.  I won't laugh at your phone if you promise not to laugh at my Samsung Stratosphere 2.

Used it many years with no issue.  It decided to stop working today (maybe yesterday, I was home all day, so I could have swapped over to the home network and not realized it).

0 Likes
joealexander
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I've had no luck with VZW support 2 days now. Not sure my next step.

0 Likes
EdSled
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Droid Maxx hotspot was working fine at 4:30am CDT on Wednesday 06/10/2020. When I tried to use the hotspot a couple hours later, I got the subscription error and it has not worked since. I have worked with VZ techs up three levels with no help. The issue is either my system level 24.21.7.obake or Android 4.4.4. VZ techs say phone software is not upgradeable and I need to buy a new phone. I think they upgraded their network making it incompatible with my phone software levels. I have a couple hours working with VZ techs and the last one says I need to buy a new phone. I have a problem with that. Everything else is working fine. It is a VZ product that is failing. I would understand if the issue was a non-VZ app.

ByeBye_VERIZON1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same issue in my Droid Maxx. Verizon did something on their end to kill our service.  They are going to lose my families business.  I like my phone and they turn off services to force you to buy a new phone.  I travel lot and twice they have tried to trick her into buying a new phone.  I am sick of the sleeze ball people at this company.

joealexander
Enthusiast - Level 3

After 4 "support" sessions, here's where I'm left. I was told to do a "health check" using the My Verizon app. App was not current and would not launch. Attempted to update from and was warned that the app no longer supports my device! I feel, as do many others here, that this is simply another method to force me to update my phone. I am disgusted with VZW.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

joealexander,

I'm definitely sorry that you're having this issue with your device. Being able to use all of the features of the device is a big deal. Most apps stop supporting older phones after a certain point. It isn't a matter of trying to force people to move but rather of the amount of work needed to maintain that many versions of the application. At a certain point so few people are using the app on a phone that the costs of maintaining that are hard to justify. That doesn't mean we can't figure out this hotspot issue though. Is that unable to connect message you get when you try to turn this on the full error message? Is there anything else the phone shows?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
Theunclebob
Enthusiast - Level 3

Question for those who have had this issue - are you also on the grandfathered unlimited data plan?

0 Likes
Theunclebob
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
joealexander
Enthusiast - Level 3

The hotspot feature was working fine for over 2 weeks, but no longer works. Working or not, when I turn on hotspot, the first message is always "Checking subscription status". When working, that is followed by "Enabling hotspot". Since it quit working, the second message is "Unable to connect". followed by "Unable to connect at this time. Try again later." 

0 Likes