Monthly Android security updates for S9 behind again!
rvortman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon caught up for one shining moment by delivering the June 1 Android security update in June. Now it's August, and we're still on the June 1 Android security update. Behind. Again.

This gets very very frustrating, and leads me to think that I have the wrong phone. I really like the Samsung S9 phone, but I also don't want a phone on which security isn't regularly updated. I just don't get it, Samsung and Verizon have both said that they are committed to these monthly updates, yet don't deliver them in a timely way for some reason. Once the updates are out, the list of exploits that they fix is public for each update. Which makes it even more important to get those updates to users in a timely way. The public list of exploits fixed in an update that I don't have is essentially a shopping list for hackers.

I just don't know what to say about this, other than I'm very disappointed in both Samsung and Verizon. And I'll very like go with either an iPhone or a Pixel phone when the new models come out in the Fall. This situation is really unacceptable.

0 Likes
Re: Monthly Android security updates for S9 behind again!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to get this aggravation stopped for you, rvortman.  Security is a cornerstone of Verizon Wireless. While we don’t have an exact schedule, this page will be updated once the latest security is released: 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s9-update/
As we want to ensure you’re device has all that is currently available. Do you use the Verizon Security & Privacy app? If so, then are there any updates for it?

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-security-and-privacy-faqs/

David_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rvortman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm well aware of the Verizon web site page where updates are "published", I visit it frequently. However, knowing about that page doesn't answer my concern at all. Releasing the July 1 update ASAP (updates for June), and then the August 1 update (updates for July) this month would answer my concern.

And then simply continuing to release the updates regularly would continue to answer my concern. Releasing these updates isn't something that you can do once and that makes your customers happy. Not even once a quarter. They have to be released monthly as intended by Google (and committed to by Samsung).

Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rvortman,

I'm glad you've been able to use that page. We work to make sure it is updated and we try to make sure updates for our phones come out as quickly as possible. At this time we don't have any update available beyond what is on that page but if anything changes we'll make sure that is updated.

Andrew_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes