Re: Multiple problems with S4 post 4.3 upgrade
C5Vette
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, here is the update in safe mode:  Same!!  30 feet from the router, 1mbps weak signal and "wifi network unstable" message.  It should be noted that I am NOT at my home location and all other devices including the computer I'm typing this message on have VERY strong signals and excellent speeds (72mbps + on this device, right next to my phone)

I am also convinced that it IS NOT a hardware issue.  The phone worked great right up to the second the update occurred......It's been a real pile since then......

I am forced to turn the wifi off and this is driving my data usage way up.....  I'm not happy about that.....

0 Likes
dhp58
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got my CLNR replacement phone today since the update literally killed my perfectly functioning 4 month old phone. Charged it up, and the first thing it prompts is to do the update. I thought it was posted earlier that they have shut off the update for the time being. How do I get out of doing this? My husband says to do it now before I start adding apps and my 4 email accounts, etc, then find myself doing a factory reset right after I've gone through all of that work. And I'm too ill to  keep pushing the time back on the prompter clock. I'd love to know if I hit the install button that it wouldn't do it, but I'm wondering if this was a phone caught in transit. It was supposed to be overnighted and of course, wasn't. Because of my illness I'm homebound w/o a phone. Really need to find a disabled friendly carrier with good reception and coverage.as anyone gotten the prompt today but the update wouldn't go through? My most fervent wish.

0 Likes
C5Vette
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wouldn't do it until they repair the problem.   I think you can continue to delay the installation..... which I would definitely do.  In hindsight I wouldn't have installed it because it essentially wrecked my wonderful phone. ....I live with a disabled phone every day.  Every time I pick it up I'm frustrated.

0 Likes
kibs0120

I'm seeing the same (removed) that everyone else is seeing slow or no wi-fi, excessive battery charge loss & overheating & unstable wi-fi errors...it appears that most of my problems occurred after the latest software update as well.  Is there a way to downgrade/remove the latest update without having to revert to default settings & have to set everything up again?

Comments edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
abean
Contributor - Level 1

Nope ... at this time, they're not giving us any options except to call and get a replacement (refurb) on your one year warranty. I did so for both of our phones and they're both on v4.2.2. When I attempt to do an update, it fails which leads to earlier posts I made stating it would appear that the updates are now disabled until they can fix.

So at this point you have two options for now:

1) Wait it out and hope a fix is released

2) Get a refurb phone running an older version

VZW reps on here will say option #3 is to reset your phone ... don't do it. I already did, and it yielded no positive results.

0 Likes
abean
Contributor - Level 1

Your refurb is prompting you to do an update? Interesting ... I just tried again on mine and it still says update services are unavailable. The rep I spoke to did say that to her knowledge, they had shut off the update process; however at the start of the call she had no knowledge of the issues at hand, so take that information however you will. It's not credible, but with all things considered, it only makes sense that they would have shut off the updates.

Call and yell, ask for yet another. I have yet another refurb sitting at my house as the replacement they sent me has a half dead motor for the vibration and it keeps dropping calls. "Certified like new" ... right ...

0 Likes
dhp58
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, my refurb is prompting me to do an update, but it was sent, or was supposed to be sent overnight, (though that was a lie), on Sunday for Monday delivery. It arrived Tuesday evening, so it may have received the prompt for the update before they were stopped, if they were stopped. I called Verizon today, and supposedly got to a second level tech or a first level supervisor, who was clueless. He offered to call Samsung while I was still on the line. First Samsung tech hung up on him. He called back, got someone, and as soon as he hung up leaving me to talk to the Samsung tech guy, the Samsung guy started saying he was having computer problems and would have to reboot his computer so gave me their number to call indirectly. So I realize neither party is/was going to help. By then I was too enveloped in a migraine to pursue it. The Verizon first level tech did suggest that if I was going to do the update that I should do it before I do anything to the phone so that I don't lose anything or spend time on it. However, it took 4 days for the update to kill my phone, and I don't want to wait 4 days to see what's going to happen, though I did notice problems like the Wi-Fi and battery, my mail not working properly, super slow response time, etc before it died. Has anyone else gotten a refurb that still prompts to do the update, or has everyone who hasn't done it yet, stopped getting prompts? I don't think anything is going to come down the pike anytime soon from either company unless this problem becomes a big time media nightmare and someone is shamed into doing something, frankly

0 Likes
ibhummon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues with this.  My phone is about as useful as a brick now after the update.  The wifi is crap, its draining my battery and making my data usage go through the roof, my music player is having glitches, and I'm having to pull the battery ever day or two because it likes to lock up now.  Absolutely horrible performance from a 'state of the art phone' I've done a reset and it hasn't fixed the issues.  I regret buying the stupid phone.  My iphone 4s, albeit a slower phone, actually worked, didn't glitch out all the time, and could connect to wifi!

0 Likes
abean
Contributor - Level 1

Well,

I got my second refurb, and out of the box I did a reset. Upon restart, it downloaded an update. I figured this was 4.3 and for S&G's I wanted to see what happened (if the same problems existed). Well, I installed it, but it wasn't 4.3; however now when I go to software update, it does prompt me that a new download is available - which at this point I have to assume is 4.3. If memory serves a few weeks ago, there were two updates back to back.

Anyway, it gives me the option to say "no thanks", and I've done so. I want/need a working phone so for now I'm going to ignore it. I now have a fully operable phone (refurb) running 4.2.2. All my previous problems do not exist.

My previous notes stating that VZW shut off the update services, is obviously wrong. So if you do get a new/refurb phone, simply ignore the update until one of these two companies gets their act together and tells us whats going on.

Without a doubt, 100%, a problem with 4.3.     

mv577
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wanted to make sure VZW heard my complaints as well... As I hope ALL S4 owners experiencing this subpar technical support, unreliable quality assurance and issues surrounding this ridiculously flawed  update will follow suit...

My S4 (16g) worked perfectly prior to the 4.3 update. Upon applying the update I immediately was unable to charge my phone with the EXACT charger it was plugged into prior to the update. My OEM charger works and if I plug my non-oem charger in and restart the phone it will see it BUT only until I unplug it... at that point I have to restart it again to charge...

I have seen issues with flickering / unstable picture frame widget on the home screen as well... Also Bluetooth issues connecting Pandora to my car radio...

Subpar to say the least. Even more frustrating is the patronizing responses I read in this thread from VZW support. Talk like real people! Tell us what's going on and what's being done to correct it!