Re: Multiple problems with S4 post 4.3 upgrade
kellyj71697
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have done everything. Why is Verizon's answer the same over and over?

0 Likes
Techie25

I was one of the first adopters of he S4 when it was released by Version in September 2013, spending $740.00 for the phone.  The phone worked perfectly UNTIL October 30, 2013 when I received the 4.3 upgrade.  Since then, Wifi no longer connects, and if it does, often disconnects within a few minutes.  It doesn't matter if I am at work, at home, or at Starbucks.  The phone often shows "Scanning..." when trying to connect, or "Trying to Obtain IP Address," "Authentication Error Occurred" (where there is no security), or "Internet Connection slow, disconnecting..."  I have called both Verizon and Samsung repeatedly.  Sometimes they will admit that they are aware of the problem, but often point the finger at each other, leaving the customer unattended.  I have been told an update is on the way, but pending Verizon's certification.  In any case, I am now eating through a ton of data on my Verizon data package and have supposedly a 'state of the art' phone that will not perform the most simple of service, CONNECT TO WIFI.  I am so mad, frustrated, and even more aggreviated to know I am not alone, but no one seems to be doing anything about it.  Either there is a problem with the 4.3 upgrade or these phones have a faulty radio that was part of the early rollout.  I want this fixed or given an option to get another phone or something that resolves this issue!

0 Likes
who4ever
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, all WiFi networks.  I am on the 3rd phone!!!!   I reset my original phone and from what I remember it worked until I was forced by repeated notices that there was a 4.3 update available and eventually I had to succumb and download it.  Then it didn't work.  Verizon then sent me my first replacement.  Again, it worked at the beginning because it had 4.2.2 installed, but as soon as I was forced to upgrade, it didn't.  You sent me ANOTHER phone.  Same story.  So I am on my 3rd phone.  Are you getting the idea from reading all of the subsequent posts that followed mine (and many before) that there are many, many unhappy Verizon/Galaxy customers?  This is your flagship phone and it doesn't do the most basic thing of all smart phones-automatically connect to the internet.

0 Likes
dkreiner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update... Even though I eventually got my phone to recognize my SD card and it actually worked for a while, I had to put a new SD card in it right after Christmas.  My phone quit seeing my card no matter what I tried.  So far, the new card is working out fine.  I don't have all my original ringtones that came with the phone.  I don't know how they disappeared!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's explore options to resolve this WiFi connection issue beachbum414!

You mention that things started to go wrong after software updates. I have resolved post software update issues on my own devices by doing a factory reset after software updates. Please give it a try http://vz.to/1b59FYH and keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
who4ever
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sorry, but I won't do that again until you can assure me it will work.  A factory reset is not a little deal.  Again, I did that with my first phone, and getting two new replacement phones is like doing 2 more factory resets.  Do you know how much time and effort it takes to restore the phone, apps and settings to the ones I now have?

0 Likes
kellyj71697
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree. Why should we have to factory reset our phones? Do the people from Verizon not read?  People on this post have advised over and over that they have reset their phone and it does not work so why continue to ask people. I think Verizon should be giving free data until this is fixed.  That seems like the right thing to do.

Email info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

kellyj71697
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why do you keep telling people to factory reset?  Do you at Verizon not read that people have done that and they have gotten replacement phones and it is not working.  There is a problem with the new update.  Instead of beating around the bush why not address the issue?  Why can't you offer us free data until it is fixed? It is not fair that we go over our allotted data and have to purchase more.  I had this issue from the moment we got the phones and the store reps just looked at me like I was crazy until one pulled me aside and they said they have no idea when it will be fixed.  I think it is it time to contact the Attorney General and the BBB.  And maybe the CEO of Verizon. 

302Stang
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon/Samsung will NOT "fess" up to the 4.3 update causing the problem as it would cost *both* companies money.

They will both continue to obfuscate, defer, and recommend useless fixes until 4.4 is ready.

Then they will force an update, (hopefully) fix these issues and pretend that the 4.3 problems never existed.

The only way to get either company to actually do something is is to "lawyer up", and I don't have time or money for that. I think most of you/us are in the same boat and they know that. So they can keep on going just like they have for the last 2.5 months and we just have to eat cake.

0 Likes
kellyj71697
Enthusiast - Level 3

And just as I was reading I got another email advising of my data usage. Total BS. I am contacting the attorney general regarding this unfair practice.

0 Likes