My S4 does not stay turned off. Yes i push the power off/power off and it does not stay turned off. I also have done the factory re-start. Any other ideas?
pamison

My phone does not stay turned off.  I push the power off/power off (not restart) and it does turn off and automatically restarts.  I have
done the factory re-set and no difference.  I've had the phone for 45 days and this started happening 10 days ago.  I like to turn
off the phone when not in use.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My S4 does not stay turned off. Yes i push the power off/power off and it does not stay turned off. I also have done the factory re-start.  Any other ideas?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a working phone is a must in this day and age pamison! I was hoping the troubleshooting steps would have worked for you. Since it’s not, you can check your upgrade eligibility by calling #UPG (#874) or visiting the My Verizon account online.  The feeling of a new phone is always great, especially with all the features they offer. Here you can check all our newest phones http://vz.to/1J6W8Y0 . If you’d like to look at other options, you can always contact Samsung directly to repair the phone. http://bit.ly/1PE2GtT

StevenM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: My S4 does not stay turned off. Yes i push the power off/power off and it does not stay turned off. I also have done the factory re-start. Any other ideas?
Klue
Master - Level 1

Have you tried a battery pull for a minute?  During that minute press and hold the power on/off key down to drain off any residule power in the phone, reinstall the battery. Does the phone start by itself?  If it does than there could be a hardware issue with your power switch. If you have to start the phone normally after the battery pull, leave it on for a little while then turn the phone off to see if it restarts itself again. If it doesn't the phone might be fixed.  If it does restart than if could be a faulty switch.

0 Likes
Re: My S4 does not stay turned off. Yes i push the power off/power off and it does not stay turned off. I also have done the factory re-start.  Any other ideas?
pamison

Thanks. Did the battery pull and yes the phone did start by itself.  I then did power off/power off and the phone did stay off for 8 minutes before restarting.

0 Likes
Re: My S4 does not stay turned off. Yes i push the power off/power off and it does not stay turned off. I also have done the factory re-start. Any other ideas?
Klue
Master - Level 1

The only other suggestion I can think of is trying a new battery. Also did you try to put your phone in safe mode then turn it off to see what happens, I've never turned off a phone while it was in safe mode, and don't know if you can, curious to know if it restarts in safe mode or full reboot. There are no menu settings to correct this so its likely a hardware issue.

0 Likes
pamison

Thank you again for the suggestions.  I put the phone In safe mode, turned it off (not restart) and the phone turned itself on in full reboot.  The phone is not covered anymore by warranty so I'll need to get this fixed or.....upgrade to an S5 or S6 which I really don't want to do. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a working phone is a must in this day and age pamison! I was hoping the troubleshooting steps would have worked for you. Since it’s not, you can check your upgrade eligibility by calling #UPG (#874) or visiting the My Verizon account online.  The feeling of a new phone is always great, especially with all the features they offer. Here you can check all our newest phones http://vz.to/1J6W8Y0 . If you’d like to look at other options, you can always contact Samsung directly to repair the phone. http://bit.ly/1PE2GtT

StevenM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pamison,

That is interesting to hear. Your phone should stay off when you power it off. Just to make sure has there been any recent up dates on your phone? Also, when powering off does if give you the option to power offor does it power off it self?
JasperM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
pamison

This is my 3rd attempt to respond to your message.  I apologize if you've received all of them.  I totally agree my phone should stay powered off.  When I push the button I receive three options:  Power off, Airplane Mode and Re-start (plus cancel).  I PowerOff/PowerOff and the phone automatically re-starts immediately as if I pushed restart instead of power off.  Sometimes, my phone stays off for 3 minutes before powering back on.

0 Likes