My S6 Wifi Shuts Off by itself and I burn through my data. Why?
garywi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon keeps wanting to charge me for more data.  I looked at my phone closer and the wifi is shutting off by itself so I am using up all my data.  Is there an app that forces the Wifi to stay enabled all the time.  Thanks! 

Verizon, I should get a refund right?

0 Likes
Re: My S6 Wifi Shuts Off by itself and I burn through my data.  Why?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > menu (the three dots in the upper right-hand corner) > Advanced and ensure that Keep Wi-Fi on During Sleep is set to Always and that Smart Network Switch is turned off.

Go to Settings > Data Usage, turn on the Alert for data usage, and set the alert to the data level of your choosing.  You also could turn off your cellular data until you need to use it.

0 Likes
Re: My S6 Wifi Shuts Off by itself and I burn through my data. Why?
garywi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the response.  I had already made the settings changes and did not solve the problem.

Is there an app the forces the wifi to stay enabled?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is one way to ensure the wifi stays enabled and prevents any cellular data usage. That way calls for the cellular data connection to be manually turned OFF not just put on standby.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
garywi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Great, what is the one way to keep wifi enabled.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know it's important to keep wifi enabled garywi because it prevents usage of your data. The information Ann154 provided is correct. You can turn Data off manually via your phone settings to prevent connection to our network. If your wifi is having any issues, updates, or major changes that affect the connection to your phone, it may disconnect. Have you tried completely removing your home wifi connection and setting it back up? When did you start to have the issue with your phone disconnecting randomly from your wifi?

KinquanaH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
garywi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  I should not have to micro manage the wifi and cellular connections.   The problem started months ago when I noticed my wife's phone was using 4x the data I was using.  Verizon kept making me add data to my account.  Then I started monitoring the S6 and noticed wifi was getting shut off.  Yes I reset the wifi connection settings.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

garywi,

I certainly understand not wanting to have to manage it so much. That is the best way to avoid all data usage when you want to use wi-fi but regular disconnections would concern me too. When you notice this happening, has the wi-fi setting on the phone been turned off or is it just not connected? Is this the same with multiple wi-fi connections or only one?

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
garywi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have no problem with wifi disconnects. The wifi button is toggling off by itself. 

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I have a S5 and a S7 edge that does the same thing. The S5 started doing it after one of the updates to marshmallow. The S7 edge from day 1 when I got the phone did not stay connected to wifi. However it didn't toggle off by itself.Then they sent out the nougat update and just made it all worse then before. One of the things I did was to do a full backup of the phone on smart switch and then cleared the cache partition and then did a factory reset. It worked for awhile and still every so often I notice that the wifi is not connected. I always turn off mobile data till I leave the house and when I come back I turn it off again. I just don't trust the phone when it comes to data

0 Likes