My S6 keeps backing up contacts with old information. How do I stop this?
DL-Frpt

Galaxy S6 keeps updating contacts with old, deleted information. How do I make the changes and have them "stick" once and for all?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Contacts
Snn5
Legend

Go to your Contacts screen, press menu, select "Contacts to Display" and you can choose the source for contacts.  Sounds like they may have transferred your Phone contacts over and maybe you usually use your Gmail/Google account contacts instead.  You can also click on a contact's name in the Contacts screen and look at where the contact is stored.  If it is set to "Phone" then contacts will not sync correctly to Gmail.  Keeping contacts in Gmail will keep contacts synced across all devices you use with your Google account, however, any changes you make in the Phone contacts will not update and may cause old information.  Basically, at some point you may have added contacts to your old phone and Gmail, but when they transferred your contacts to the new phone, they only transferred the Phone contacts and now with you logged into your Google account on the phone you might get conflicting info for contacts.  You can also choose to display only Google, Phone, another account, customize, or ALL.  I recommend keeping a clean list as you want it to be in Gmail to avoid conflicts in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

What source are your contacts backing up FROM?  Verizon Cloud, Google Gmail, etc?

0 Likes
DL-Frpt

I'm not sure, when I got the phone, they transferred my contacts via bluetooth from old phone. How can I tell where they are coming from?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Go to your Contacts screen, press menu, select "Contacts to Display" and you can choose the source for contacts.  Sounds like they may have transferred your Phone contacts over and maybe you usually use your Gmail/Google account contacts instead.  You can also click on a contact's name in the Contacts screen and look at where the contact is stored.  If it is set to "Phone" then contacts will not sync correctly to Gmail.  Keeping contacts in Gmail will keep contacts synced across all devices you use with your Google account, however, any changes you make in the Phone contacts will not update and may cause old information.  Basically, at some point you may have added contacts to your old phone and Gmail, but when they transferred your contacts to the new phone, they only transferred the Phone contacts and now with you logged into your Google account on the phone you might get conflicting info for contacts.  You can also choose to display only Google, Phone, another account, customize, or ALL.  I recommend keeping a clean list as you want it to be in Gmail to avoid conflicts in the future.

0 Likes