My mobile data is being charged while on Wifi
TheColdOne

Is there any news of this issue? I haven't seen anything about it, and I have only seen this HUGE spike in data consumption since I upgraded from my Galaxy Nexus to the S4.

Before this I had to actually TRY to reach my 4GB limit, streaming netflix over the mobile network, downloading podcast episodes, etc. But for some reason now, when I am using Wifi both at work and here at home, I have, only over the last week or so, been getting the text warnings about my data consumption.

So far the only solution I am trying, which I am starting now, is to turn off the mobile data when I am at home or at work, but turning it on in between for GPS and music streaming (which I did before and it never caused the data to spike like this.

I am worried that I will unintentionally go over my limit, despite the care I take in using Wifi whenever possible.

0 Likes
Re: My mobile data is being charged while on Wifi
Not applicable

The turning off "cellular data" is a good idea. What happens even under wifi is certain functions on your device use cellular data, one that comes to mind is text messages. Also certain apps grab cellular data other than wifi to sync unless you tell the device only to sync over wifi. In the phone settings you can change it.

Using Netflix or Pandora over wifi should not use cellular data. Again just make sure the cellular data is off while on wifi or verizon will overcharge you month after month.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Charged4WIFI
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried to start a new thread and could not.

I am being charged for wifi use as cellular and cant stop it on my end.

I went from 3 gigs a month to 8 overnight. Im currently tracking usage live on My Verizon while on WIFI and my data usage is increasing.

Getting angry.

Already fell for the "Increase your date by 2 gigs for $15.00" BS and conveniently it smokes that in the same time frame.

Calling tomorrow and will give them one chance before I switch to some other crooked phone company (came from T-Mobile).

Had to rant.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you checked your sleep policy for the wifi radio on the phone? Do you bother turning off the cellular data connection when you expect to be connected to a wifi router for an extended period of time?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Charged4WIFI
Enthusiast - Level 2

Never had to " bother" before.

Thank you,

Walter

Private info removed as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ann gave you a good answer.

I would also set the update over WiFi only to on. Just in case.

These new phones just eat data. I have read more and more complaints about the data usage being out of this world since Verizon went to shared or metered data.

Verizon claimed 95% of their customers use less than 2GB of data. But lo and behold read about all this mega usage of data where little was used before. Very strange in deed.

Good Luck

0 Likes
bravefan76

The same is happening to me.  I recently went from the Stratosphere to the Galaxy 4 Mini.  With the Strat I hardly ever got above .5GB of data.  Now I get to 1GB within about two weeks of the start of the cycle and I have to opt for the 2GB updgrade.  It is RIDICULOUS.  I am not doing anything differently than before.  If it continues to happen, I am going to cancel my service and go with someone else.  I have been a customer since 1996 and I am getting fed up with it.  I call customer service and they are no help in fixing the problem.  I have all my Apps turned to update on Wifi only" and most that I do not use, I have turned off.  There is ABSOLULTELY on way I am going through this much data!!!

0 Likes
JuliaVio

I have the same problem that these users have and I DID "bother" to turn off cellular as soon as I realized I had somehow plowed through 12 GB IN LESS THAN 10 days. It has been completely off for over a week and the data usage has climbed another GB while off. Thanks for your sarcasm though. It was really helpful.

0 Likes
JuliaVio

Just to add details to my sudden, insane data usage:

it is is an iPad 4.

I Have had it on the data plan for months without even going over 5gb. I am almost always on wifi.

I Am not doing anything differently.

CEll data is turned completely OFF on the device and it is still being consumed at a rate far higher than I have ever paid even on vacations away from home.

0 Likes
DKF5360
Enthusiast - Level 1

IF your cell data is off and you are still being charged then it is obvious Verizon has a major problem on your account. I do not think I would be paying any overage charges!  I am not hearing anything like this going on with other phone companies.  I have been with V for more years than I can count but I too may be jumping ship if they cannot fix this.  You should not have to turn off your cell data BUT. If u do it cannot incur data usage.

0 Likes