My "compass" is constantly indicating the wrong direction in maps/navigation
chris_k1
Enthusiast - Level 3

When using google maps/navigation, the icon never indicates the correct heading.  I tried the whole "move it in a figure 8 and other movements" fixes I found online, and they improved the heading slightly and temporarily.  Right now it's off by more than 90 degrees.  Any other options or advice for correcting this?  TIA.

0 Likes
Re: My "compass" is constantly indicating the wrong direction in maps/navigation
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello chris_k! That's a very unusual thing for your Galaxy S4 to do. What I suggest is to put the device into Safe Mode to ensure that this issue with compass isn't being caused by another application. The instructions for Safe Mode are here: http://vz.to/1dyR8dX. Try that, and then try your maps feature again. Let me know how it goes!

DionM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
Re: My "compass" is constantly indicating the wrong direction in maps/navigation
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

this has occurred on my S4 as well from day one. I have compared it to the other devices I own and clear the cache on the S4. Other applications work correctly on the S4 and the north arrow is in the right direction. The arrow on the blue dot in maps doesn't point in the same orientation as the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Try tapping on the red and white arrow in the upperleft hand corner to get north up view.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is already in the north view.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This was a few weeks ago. I was traveling along the highway and the arrow is not pointing in the direction of travel like my other devices would.

Screenshot_2013-09-09-20-08-01.png

0 Likes
chris_k1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried booting into safemode three times on two different days.  The results were the same each time.  At first it appeared that maybe the compass was going to point in the right direction, but in less than a minute it was 90+ degrees off--same reading as in normal mode.  Just to be clear here, if my phone is in the normal/portrait orientation, and laying flat, the compass should indicate which direction the top of the phone is pointing, correct?  If so, it's definitely way off, and has been as long as I can recall.  Again, I've tried the "moving it in a figure 8" thing, and even a compass calibration app.  Nothing helps.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is my assessment of what should happen for the compass point. That is what my Nexus, Tbolt, and tablet does. The S4 doesn't.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Ann154,

Thanks for the additional information! Since you have cleared cache on your S4 and issues continues, this compass issue may be related to the application as other applications work properly. I recommend contacting the app developer for further assistance.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

if it is indeed an application issue, it must be an conflict between the app and the specific phone model. The application works the other four android devices in my procession.

0 Likes