NG6 - Update Issue List
mremptywallet
Enthusiast - Level 2

So after updating my PERFECTLY FINE Galaxy S4 last night for this new NG6 built Verizon released to me last night, I have had nothing but issues. I am posting them to get a full clear list of what it has done to me and if something else has happen to your S4, please add it.

Random Rebooting  

• This happens when unlocking the Phone
  • Opening system settings
  • Opening Email
  • Basically opening anything can randomly cause it to reboot

Touch Screen seems to not respond at all but the touch buttons light up so it does recognize i am touching the screen

• This also causes the phone to reboot if i keep tapping the screen
  • Application wont open/respond
  • I have to close out all open apps to get the screen to respond again (swipe to close still work when long press on home button is used)

After reading that a system wipe and restore will fix these issues I have had these issues...

• Battery draining extremely fast
  • 3G is stuck on. I have absolutely NO 4G whatsoever!
  • Still waiting for something else to go wrong...
Re: NG6 - Update Issue List
bhavin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problems here..  Gs 4

stef7
Master - Level 2

Examine other posts.

1). Attempt a low-level cache wipe. If that doesn't work...

2). Attempt a Factory Data Reset. If that doesn't work, do another Factory Data Reset. And if that doesn't work.

3). Call to exchange phone.

0 Likes
mremptywallet
Enthusiast - Level 2

After Factory Reset

• No more reboots but it still locks up for a few seconds while navigating around.
  • 4G finally came back.
  • Battery seems to be discharging normally now.
  • Gmail and Exchange email don't receive push anymore. I have to open the apps to refresh by inbox.

Factory reset is not a realistic solution though. It has been a pain in the ass to setup my phone again, things still are not syncing properly and to expect users to do a full reset after an update is crazy.

0 Likes
bhavin
Enthusiast - Level 2

All,

This is so true. Expecting customers who paid for a service to do a factory

data reset to fix an update that wasn't properly tested by Verizon is

unacceptable. I expect more from Verizon.

Bhavin

0 Likes
JGG2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another fail by VZ.  Went through the same thing with, as I recall, 4.3.  WiFi connectivity issues.  Screen freezes.  Battery drain etc.  Interestingly, the update prior to NG6 was working fine so it is clearly possible for VZ to provide a stable update.  Inadequate or non-existent testing prior to this release.  Quite remarkable for a company with the resources to execute proper testing.  As I said per a prior failed update by VZ, I would be fired if I released such sloppy code.

Further, this update provided ZERO benefit to me and most likely the majority of users.  It simply degraded the performance of my phone and updated un-removable crapware.

Solution = will be getting a Nexus 6 straight from Google and switching to another carrier.  Timely updates straight from Google and no more crapware, faulty updates, etc. from VZ and Samsung.  Will I be sacrificing network performance?  Most likely but am so tired of these issues it will be worth it.

joonhyuk
Contributor - Level 1

You can add that the stock camera app is now awful.

The camera firmware was supposedly updated per the firmware update, which wasn't in Verizon's own detailed notes about this update....!

The camera takes even worse low light photos with image stability being horrific. Lighting in photos is extremely off and this is after messing with the settings after the update.

Customer service for your company is awful right now and even more so now than ever!

0 Likes
mickeyrat
Enthusiast - Level 2

My email is hinky as well with no push notifications like before. It seems to double load on opening?

Cleared my cache with AVG cleaner app and that seems to have helped the battery drain issue some..

0 Likes
Susie52
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a couple strange problems in addition to others.

1. As others, my camera is now junk.  Then auto focus, if it works at all, works BEFORE the shutter button is pressed and doesn't re-focus after pressing the button and the photos are all out of focus.  I have to rest the phone on a solid surface to help keep it steady.  My mobile banking (taking photos of checks) has now become worthless.  This is totally unacceptable!!!

2. Totally trashed one of my games.  When I tried to open it, the game totally went spastic and then would shut down.  I uninstalled and re-installed which helped, but still not "right".

3. The popup screen to allow me to reset or turn the phone off no longer appears.  If I push the button to bring it up, the screen just turns off.  So if I want to turn off the phone I have to pull off the back and pull the battery.  This is totally unacceptable!!!

JGG2
Enthusiast - Level 3

My phone won't come out of sleep for minutes when trying to use it since the update.  This morning, it won't wake up at all. Battery pulled to restart.  Phone wakes up then reboots on its own.  Wakes up again, can't find my wifi signal (the router is literally three feet away).  Such a great way to start my day.

Thanks for another failed update VZ.